What's this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know if it has a common name, but the latin is Dracaena sanderiana. It is not an aquarium plant, it is a house plant and will not survive in your aquarium for long. Sorry, but some shops sell terrestrial plants for aq use, and they always die. It is unscrupulous of them but not uncommon for this to happen. Sorry, you been burnt.

Are you sure? I totally trust the shop I got them from and I've had them a few weeks now and they're doing fine.

Well, thats exactly what it looks like in my aq plant book.

If you trust the shop, ask them what it is, not us. :roll:

One more thing, with plants, just as with fish, you should research what you are buying before you buy it, so you know it will fit your tank and water parameters.

corvuscorax said:
If you trust the shop, ask them what it is, not us. :roll:

OK, I take the point. :lol:

Just curious, if its not an aquarium plant, why is it in your aquarium plant book?

First, sorry for the smart-alek answer in previous post.

Just curious, if its not an aquarium plant, why is it in your aquarium plant book?
Very good question!

Aquarium Plants, the Practical Guide, by Pablo Tepoot.

The book lists true AQ plants, then has other sections for plants that only like their roots submerged, and finally, plants that are commonly sold in fish stores that are not aquatic at all, but can survive for a while in an aquarium. I found that plant in the last section.

Hopefully, for your sake, I'm wrong. Won't be the first or last time! Good luck with the plant.

Oh yeah, BTW, I have a koi angel that looks almost exactly like yours, a real beauty!

I think they call that a variegated sword plant ... you can get them at garden shops for cheap by the flat (bunch 'o plants in a planter)

It would probably love growing for you in a 'hang on back' refugium or one of those breeder boxes that hang on the tank ... something where it's roots can be in a substrate underwater, but it's leaves are in the exposed air

I have diffenbachia and 'peace lilly' both growing this way from an open top tank

and since their roots are in the water, they are helping to filter out ammonia and other toxins out of the aquarium

ps very cool looking multi-colored angel! ... is that just a normal pterophyllum scalare or some sort of hybrid?

corvuscorax said:
First, sorry for the smart-alek answer in previous post.

No problem. :)

Oh yeah, BTW, I have a koi angel that looks almost exactly like yours, a real beauty!

He's gorgeous isn't he, definitely my favourite fish. It is a male, I've got a female as well and they produce eggs from time to time. From what I've read doesn't seem likely I'll get any little angels.

glmclell said:
ps very cool looking multi-colored angel! ... is that just a normal pterophyllum scalare or some sort of hybrid?

Thanks :D I don't know the answer to your question. I bought him and his partner as 'koi angels' that's all I know. The LFS has a constant supply. When I got them their bodies were about the size of 50p pieces. They've both really grown, the male especially, and they've both got those silvery markings which I'm told indicates their maturity.

I like the way they just 'hang' in the water and glide around together. The pic is a bit unusual actually, he's not usually so far away from his mate.

Those plants look great, I'd really like to have ones looking like that in my aquarium. Keep us updated on how they do.

catfish1102 said:
Are you sure? I totally trust the shop I got them from and I've had them a few weeks now and they're doing fine.

lol, trust me too! my mother has two huge ones in her garden! =)

Back
Top Bottom