Whats this stuff on my tank decor? (Looks wormy)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgcaver

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK guys, this is just weird... Looks like wormy things on all my driftwood, and even the broad leaves of my big plants. Im 99% they arent worms or anything alive for that matter. They are brown; it literally looks like someone drew dirt designs on all my stuff. They are about as wide as a Sharpie marker line, and most are about 1/2" long.

This stuff is all over my tank decor (on the upward facing surface only) and even in my filter (on the bottom below my media). In other words, its only on the surface that you'd see if you looked directly down at it. Looks like like some weird kind of alien designs

also, keep in mind that I said its also found in my filter (where theres VERY little if any light) so doesnt that kinda rule out the algae theory?

also, im 99% sure its not poop: doesnt look like poop, and the "designs" are too uniform and widespread to be randomly scattered poop

Wish I could get some pics up, but I have no digi cameras... Anyone have ANY idea of what this stuff is? Any pics I can compare mine to?

Thanx for any help

Black Tiger Oscar - currently 4"
Pictus Catfish - currently 4"
55gal :: AC500 :: 2wpg
Hooray for sand and live plants!

I've seen this before in my turtle tank filter one time. Results from an abundance of nutrients and bacteria in the water (in my best opinion).

When is the last time you did a water change or a gravel vaccum? Often times, this isn't anything to worry about, just means that you need to clean your tank on a more regular basis. That said...make sure you test your water too and check the parameters. (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc) and make sure none of them are out of the ordinary.

I could be wrong, but this is my best guess. HTH

Back
Top Bottom