Whats wrong with my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

9ujy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone I'm new here.I have a 5 gallon tank with 2 platys 2 variatus and one gourami. One platy is a female the other a male.recently the male has been following her EVERYWHERE..then just today she moved into a little house sunk to the bottom and didn't move.when she finally came out her fins were clamped in and she's a little jumpy.also at an angle it looks like she has white spots.what do you thinks going on?ice maybe?or does the male have something to do with it?thanks for any help

How long ha e you had the tank?
And the fish?
Are the variatus male also?
Spots do sound like Ich.
Do you know your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels?

Like my friend ask you, how long you have the tank and fish is very important. If those white spot look like little white dots you have ikc my friend,if is not ,then a bacteria infection is possible too,the faster you treated the better chanse of survival. Good luck

About 2 months for the tank 2 months for this platy and the male variatus, about 2 weeks for the male platy, and about 3 days for the gourami,and I am getting the levels checked tonight

Best advise ,do a fish disease research on google ,most of the time they show pictures that can help you to compare with what your fish have. The first few months are allways the hardest ones when it comes to disease outbrakes.

The female platys probably really stressed from the male as well, generally a 3:1 female to male platy ratio is best. The increased and constant stress will have lowered your platys immune system making her at higher risk to disease. On the other hand though you don't want to overstock your tank, so make sure there's lots of places for her to hide.

and I am getting the levels checked tonight
If you are planning on taking them to your local chain store pet store, please be aware that they most often use test strips rather than a liquid reagent, which are unfortunately pretty innacurate. You would be better off getting yourself a liquid test kit and testing yourself. Most people here (including myself) would reccommend the API freshwater master test kit.
And the variatus is male
I presume when you say variatus, you mean Platy variatus? In which case you actually have 3 males and 1 female? Tell me if I am misunderstanding, but if that is the case that's a lot of males chasing and stressing out 1 female. If you are able to I'd take some males back to the store.

The tank is already overstocked IMO. Even if you did have good filtration, platies are WAY too active for a five gallon tank.

I agree. A 5 gal tank is small for most fish and platys need swimming room, areas to hide and they have a fairly large bioload for a5 gal. What's your water change routine (how often and how much)? If you can get your own test kit, please do so. If you do go to the LFS to have them test the water, have them write down the actual numbers and post them here (don't let them tell you the water is "fine").

I would start with a large water change, use dechlorinator and match the temperature of the water as best you can. If you can rehome/return the platys that's a place to start. Also not sure of the gourami in a 5 gal?

5 gal tanks aren't good for much except a betta and some shrimp, or maybe a school of nano fish. I don't think the fish you currently have are compatible with a 5 gal.

Alright thanks...ok last night I got those ich tablets and dropped one in.I took out the carbon pad like it says...this morning I still see white spots...what do u think?my parents don't think it's ich but I kinda do..

Here's what it's been doing.I know it's a bad picture but this is all I could get.it's just sinks to the bottom with it's fins tucked in

Attachments

• image-1196799570.jpg
    image-1196799570.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 58
Have you performed a water change?

and also....have you tested the water yet?!?!?

Buying the kit today.I think it might be velvet.I read online lady who had the same fish same symptoms.how do I treat it?!?!

I agree. A 5 gal tank is small for most fish and platys need swimming room, areas to hide and they have a fairly large bioload for a5 gal. What's your water change routine (how often and how much)? If you can get your own test kit, please do so. If you do go to the LFS to have them test the water, have them write down the actual numbers and post them here (don't let them tell you the water is "fine").

I would start with a large water change, use dechlorinator and match the temperature of the water as best you can. If you can rehome/return the platys that's a place to start. Also not sure of the gourami in a 5 gal?

5 gal tanks aren't good for much except a betta and some shrimp, or maybe a school of nano fish. I don't think the fish you currently have are compatible with a 5 gal.

I totally agree with all of what librarygirl said. If your gourami is not dwarf, they will grow bigger, and even if it is dwarf, it is still not suitable for that fish to be in a 5G. Like what library said, a school of nano fish or a betta and some shrimp is the ideal for a 5G.

More males versus 1 female is really stressful and maybe that is why your female is acting that way. Rehome 2 of the males and see what happens. For now, I would say try treating the whole tank with salt and if that will not work, do the pimafix/melafix treatment.

I also added more salt last night....so I should take the males out and move them to different home?

aquarium salt or normal household salt will be fine....and yes, for now you can rehome them or you can send it back to the LFS where you got them...

Back
Top Bottom