Whats wrong with this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I looked at a compatibility chart thingy and I am debating if I want to keep some of my many gupies. If I do, can I keep these fish with them-

Dwarf Puffers
Head Tail Lights
Rasboras (brilliant and Het)
Dwarf Gourami
Platies

Oh, Id also like ghost catfish but I dont know much about them

I know some of those are more aggressive than others. That is why I am asking.

Also, I have a goldfish tank, and they say you can keep guppies (and possibly platys) with goldfish. Is that true?

Skip the dwarf puffers. They make terrible community fish, in most cases. Head and tail lights, rasboras and platies should be fine with the guppies, and the dwarf gourami "should" be fine, but it depends upon the fish. I have run across some that kick serious butt (including killing 3 head and tail lights!) If you have a large enough tank these fish should be fine together.

Goldfish should be kept with goldfish, as they are "cold" water fish and guppies and platies are tropical. I do not like to mix them with anything.

Do you mean ghost or glass cats? I love them! Very cool looking fish.

Do know the glass cats get to be around 6 inches long, and eat small fish in the wild; prob not a good tankmate for guppies or for anything less then a 25g tank (more info on em here: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Kryptopterus&speciesname=bicirrhis ).

The ghost cats get to be about 2 1/2 - 3 inches; not sure they do well on dry food - think they require live, and are definite shoalers (more info here: http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.cfm?genusname=Kryptopterus&speciesname=minor ).

Make sure, if you decide to get them, that are you getting the kind you want (erm...not sure how to delineate between em tho other then size; they look a lot alike). Petsmart, for example, gets them confused and calls the ghost catfish glass cats instead.

I had a pair of Glass cats. They are very peaceful and shy fish. They will eat flakes, frozen & live foods. They like shady (dark) areas and to hide under decor. Mine would only come out to eat, the rest of the time they hung out under a fake stump.

Right, Alli, the Ghost Catfish (Kryptopterus bicirrhis - Fruitbat is rubbing off on me) is the one they have at PetsMart often listed as a glass cat because they are transparent. They will eat flake but most likely would eat guppy fry, but not the adults. My atlas says they get 6" but I don't think that is true in an aquarium. I have always paused when I pass them, but I have never kept them.

The question is, Lyquidphyre, what size tank is this?

I know someone who has kept a solitary Ghost Cat in their tank for years, I believe its around 4 or 5 inches long, may be longer.. been a long time since I've been over there.

Its in a 55gal.

I believe its around 4 or 5 inches long, may be longer..
Cool! I would like to see one that big, as the only ones I have ever seen are a couple of inches.

My tank is a 29gal

My fish situation is so messed up right now. I am not sure how im going to handle it. Bleh

Back
Top Bottom