What's your favourite tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You have to do what is right for your fish. That is just the responsibility of being a part of this hobby.

Don't be turned down by your parents. i am 13 and I do chores and all I ask for on holidays is money...... And guess what I am 80$ away from getting everything I need for my 75!!! Gallon.

I am 15 and I have the money for another tank they just won't let me buy it. They say I have to wait a year to see how well I handle a 10 gallon. Tbh they have nothing to do with it everything about it has been with my money that I have earns over the past three years. I just don't understand why they don't trust me I'm 15 for gods sake. My mum says the earliest I could get a bigger tank is next July :(

Wow that stinks I have a 5 gallon and a 20 gallon. And my mom says this hobby is better than watching tv or getting involved in STUFF lol

Wow that stinks I have a 5 gallon and a 20 gallon. And my mom says this hobby is better than watching tv or getting involved in STUFF lol

The good thing is though she said if I wait a year then I could get a big tank like 30-55 gallons

I am 15 and I have the money for another tank they just won't let me buy it. They say I have to wait a year to see how well I handle a 10 gallon. Tbh they have nothing to do with it everything about it has been with my money that I have earns over the past three years. I just don't understand why they don't trust me I'm 15 for gods sake. My mum says the earliest I could get a bigger tank is next July :(

Maybe they are worried you are wasting money on a passing fad?
Perhaps if you do the research and present them with the facts they will understand how important it is to get things right?
Do your folks have any interest in aquariums/fish at all?

Maybe they are worried you are wasting money on a passing fad?
Perhaps if you do the research and present them with the facts they will understand how important it is to get things right?
Do your folks have any interest in aquariums/fish at all?

My dad likes catfish and my mum likes neon tetras but neither want there own aquarium. They like looking at mine occasionally though.

I will be taking back the two pearls this week

That's great :) good job and choosing what is right for your fish.

With that empty tank I would recommend one dwarf gourami (since you like Gouramis) and a school of neons or ember tetras. Then maybe a female betta or some shrimp. I prefer RCS

I don't suggest keeping Ember tetra's with a DG. They are too small and would most likely become very shy and be outcompeted for food. Neons would would well as would Regular or Purple Harlequin Rasbora's.

Personally, I think embers are fine with a DG. IME, they have never been shy even when I put them with decently large (comparatively speaking) tankmates. Of course, fish are individuals, and no matter what choice you make, you always need to monitor that everybody is getting along and co-existing nicely. That said, neons are certainly easier to find than embers are. I personally am just not a huge fan of neons.
A different route is would be to just get like 1-2 platies and 1 DG. They are bright colored, easy to come by, and you don't need a school. Just, watch the genders. I think a school of harlies gets a tad big for a 10g, personally. They can end up getting close to 2 inches. I would stick with a schooling fish that stays closer to an inch or just under.

Back
Top Bottom