When adding water to the tank/changing the water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Onecell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok with my 135 i just have a 5 gallon bucket to change the water i hate doing good water changes with just that. I hear of this thing u can hook up to a facet to refill the tank but how do you get the chlorine out before it get to the water or can you just add the dechlorinator straight to the tank after you add the water? Would be cool if i didnt have to bring the water back and forth from the tank.

Wow your a newbie with a 135 that's jumping in with both feet!
The item your talking about is a Python it connects to your faucet and adds water as it draws out the tank water.
Check it out at this website:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004
from what i understand adding the declohorinater after the water in the tank is fine..you'll be changing 27 gal for 20% water change...thats almost my entire tank

Yep. The Python connects to your faucet or water hose, and the other end is what you put in your tank. The part that hooks up to the faucet is like the adapter you use to add or take out water from a waterbed. You either open or close the valve at the bottom of the connector to set it to pull water or or add it back to the tank. It also has an open and close valve at the other end of the hose, so you can control the flow while you are vacuuming the gravel or adding water back in. I wouldn't be without mine. It really makes a difference on tank maintenance! Just be sure you adjust the water temp. and try to match it to your tank temp. when refilling your tank, and add the dechlor just before or during the refill process. You might also want to check your ph in your tank vs. the ph in water just out of the faucet. If there is a big difference, you may have to age the water you are putting back in the tank first so you don't shock your fish.

This is a python with the attachments. Hope it helps give you a better idea of how it works. I love mine and don't know what I would do without it. :D

With the python, you can add the dechlorinator before you add the water back in or you can add it in the stream of water. The python system helps aerate the water coming through the faucet and by doing that removes some of the chlorine.

img_270246_0_eb7407fdd268c9f8502d863c59147a7e.jpg

img_270246_1_57c1a846ed259a8cf078f2cdaa8bbef1.jpg

Wow, great job, Fawn!

Yeah, I can't imagine changing the water in my 75 gal with just a bucket. Get the Python, you'll love it. It comes in different lengths and you can also buy extensions and different kinds of faucet adapters. Check out the link above that Rocket gave you, and check prices online. I got a 25 foot Python at Wal-Mart for $29. I add the dechlor before I refill the tank. I'm lucky too, because my tap water is the same temp as the tank water (but I always check first anyway).

Welcome to AA, Onecell. Great handle. :wave:

Just to clarify the chlorine issue... pro-longed exposure to the small level of chlorine in tap water can be harmful to your fish. The key word here is "pro-longed". During water changes, you can add tap water into a tank without doing anything to remove the chlorine. Afterwards, just be sure to immediately treat the tank with a dechlorinator. That will neutralize the chlorine pretty much instantly. Pretty much everyone that uses a Python does it this way and there hasn't been any reported issues that I recall. Your fish will be fine.

hth :)

Let me save you some money here. Go to a hardware store, and buy a waterbed filling adapter (which is the piece that connects to your sink). Buy as much clear vinyl hose as you need, and then get a few garden hose type fittings and put them on the hose. For $10 (depending on how much hose you need) you can make your own python, minus the gravel vac (which is junk...too little suction, and wastes a TON of water). Since a real python system will set you back $40, this is a great money saver.

I suggest then, also, to make an upside down U-shaped filling adapter out of PVC. Get 1" PVC, and 2 90degree elbows, a threaded adapter, and an end cap. Make a U shaped piece that fits over the edge fo the tank. Put an end cap on the 'inside' and the threaded end on the outside (which you can attach to the end of your DIY python). Glue the pieces together.
Then drill a bunch of small (3/16 drill bit) holes in the 'inside' end of the U-shaped filler.

I'll post a photo...it'll make more sense then. But basically doing this you can fill a tank all by yourself and won't have to worry about the hose coming out of the tank.

When I fill my tank, when I turn on the tap, I add my Prime to the tank, near the filling point. I have yet to have any fish die, or notice any plant problems. As AtodaJ points out...its prolonged exposure that causes problems.

I am still doing the bucket method for all my tanks. Can you use a python type product where the water supply is on the floor above the floor that the tank is? (my tanks are in the basement and I don't have any taps/drains near the tank... The nearest one is the kitchen sink on the main floor)

Moooose

Can you use a python type product where the water supply is on the floor above the floor that the tank is?

With the python being attached to the sick, it doesn't matter. I got a great deal online at petco with free shipping. Well worth the money. :D

so it works if my tap is on the floor above ? There is enough pumping to draw the waste water up from the tank on the floor below? Or were you thinking of me using it to just fill.. ?

Well, depending on what your water pressure is normally, I would say yes. Just as long as your hose is long enough to reach your tank, I don't see why not.

Here's a photo of that tank filling adapter I described. Photo is off my PCS phone, but the quality is good enough to illustrate the design.

The python vacuum action isn't that great, and wastes almost as much water to use it as you will actually drain from the tank. Its great for filling, not that great for vac'ing. If your sink is on the floor above the tank, I'm not sure it'll work.

I use my python from my bathroom on the second floor and it works great. It definitely has enough balls to suck the waste up the stairs.

wicked! I tried to look into this a while ago.. when i was in the stored they could not confirm if it would work... Any tricks?

Sorry to hijack the thread....

Mooose

There are no tricks, it all depends on how your water pressure is in the house. When draining my tank, I crank up the water and I have no problem with the suction.

Well before I put my python in the 'fill' position, I run back and forth a few times between the tank and the running water to match it up as best as I can (the human hand can tell the difference of 1 degree).

I will admit it's a TOTAL PITA to do it this way, but until I buy a digital thermometer, it's going to have to be like this.

-Dan

Back
Top Bottom