When are Platy babies big enough to go in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a platy baby that is a little over a month. He is big enough to not get eaten, but I'm worried about him getting bullied. Would they bully him if I put him in now? I don't want to wait too long because he is in a small breeder box and I don't want to have to keep him in there until he's full grown.
What age do people usually put them in with the adults?

I have a platy baby that is a little over a month. He is big enough to not get eaten, but I'm worried about him getting bullied. Would they bully him if I put him in now? I don't want to wait too long because he is in a small breeder box and I don't want to have to keep him in there until he's full grown.
What age do people usually put them in with the adults?
It's all about size and not age. A 6 month old runt might be smaller than a 1 month old non stunted fry. The key is to make sure that the fry have plenty of places to hide and the adult fish are fed enough that the fry won't look like a delicious meal. If you are still concerned, you can place a divider in your tank and release the fry into one side until it gets bigger and can defend itself better. (y)

young fish should be at least half the size of the biggest fish in the tank.
eg: you have a 2 inch fish in the tank, the baby should be at least 1 inch.

Back
Top Bottom