When buying dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning on getting a pair of dwarf puffers for my 8g nano tank it's already cycled just working on getting more plants for it to provide cover...anyway, when buying the pair should I buy them both at the same time to set their territories or is it fine to buy one at a time? I'm just afraid if I get one then another later that the first one I buy will have claimed the whole tank as his/her territory and abuse the new puffer to death.

Also any recommendations on bushy/leafy plants that the puffers could explore? Trying to get some coloured plants too, currently only have one red plant, a red tiger lotus, gunna trim it lots to keep it small and compact. I have one of those 13 watt fluval lights that come with the fluval flora set as my lighting and I dose with seachem flourish excel daily if that helps decide what plants will work in my tank.

I'd buy them separately. The tank is fairly small and 2 DPs is harder to care and train in a 8g. When you buy the 2nd, change the aquascape and all territory will be lost.

I can't really change the aquascape though, other then maybe the plants. The stones are in place holding the substrate up high.

If you are lucky, you will get 2 DPs with no health issues. Many post here about 2 sick DPs and are not eating. If you meet this scenario, then IMO the best thing to do is isolate them in 2 separate tanks, train them to take food from you and treat them for health issues if needed.

Yeah I have an empty 10 gallon kicking around I could put the other one in temporarily if I need to. Then when they are fine and healthy Ill try putting me back together if things go wrong then maybe ill have to return one.

sounds good. so it does not matter if you get one or both at a time.

start cycling the 10g in preparation for worst case scenario ;-)

Back
Top Bottom