When male does this with his genitalia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not familiar with the terminology of fish genitalia, but when he moves his 'sword' to the left or right, without the presence of the female in site - what does this mean? Is he lonely and trying to engage in mating?

Re:

So many things... we will need a video or atleast a shred of detail.

Good or bad? Video is hard since it's really spontaneous. What would be the reasons for it? It simply moves left or right as he is swimming.

Is it a swordtail fish since you said 'sword'? I haven't kept them, but I think the males have the sword. Not sure about their mating dance ritual.

Re:

Both the Dalmatian molly and platy has done this. I can't believe no one understands what I'm talking about!!

Is it a swordtail fish since you said 'sword'? I haven't kept them, but I think the males have the sword. Not sure about their mating dance ritual.

I was trying to be cordial. I suppose I should have said penis.

It is a gonopodium, a modified anal fin, that the male livebearer uses to deposit packets of sperm into the genitalium of the female. A livebearer fish version of a penis, yes.

It is a gonopodium, a modified anal fin, that the male livebearer uses to deposit packets of sperm into the genitalium of the female. A livebearer fish version of a penis, yes.

Yes, that's the term. And I forgot the term, anal fin.

The reason why I ask is because a month and a half ago, I added 2 female and one male platy to my aquarium, and sadly the females died in a week thereafter. My male platy was swimming and thriving in my tank of mollys while being the only one of his kind. Then three days ago he became lethargic, inactive, just sitting on the bottom or hiding. I thought he was a goner. But prior to that, I saw him trying to 'mate' with the mollys who of course ignored him. That's when I notice him extending his anal fin left and right as he was swimming around. Because I just feared he was going to die, I thought let me run out and get a female platy. I did just that yesterday evening, and would you believe by morning, he was up and swimming lively again, and eating again as well. I was so relieved. But I hope this female platy survives. Those who are familiar with my previous posts, I started this hobby this past summer with guppies and I was very upset at how quickly they die because of their overbreeding. I decided to stick to mollys and I'm very happy. The reason for my platy was because back in early November, I took advantage of the guppy/platy sale at the pet store (buy 6 get 2 free offer) and that was my last guppy/platy investment. Needless to say, I have 3 guppy fry, almost 3 months old, and currently thriving. Let's see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom