when to add new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you don't remember my story, here is the short version...

Started out with 3 Dalmation mollies, 2 F/ 1M...1 got pregnant, removed the male, the other female died from some sort of parasite (not for sure)
Also have a mini clown pleco and an ADF.

It has been since the end of March since we have lost the one female...the other seems great, but she has yet to deliver this fry that we have been waiting on for forever...most people are asking "are you sure she is pregnant", after sending pics it seems the majority thinks yes she is...I have received some emails from a few saying they have had this happen to their mollies stating they are not "natural" breeders and can take up to 3 months to deliver the fry, (which most don't survive if any)

So my question is...when can I add more fish. I would like to get some more mollies, females, no more males because I don't have the tank to breed ( I know they can be preg. from the lfs...)

any other suggestions for a 10 gallon fish to add instead of the mollies?

thanks all! :D

I would go ahead and add a couple of mollies. For a 10 gal there are plenty of options. Tetras, guppies (all males LOL), cory cats. Not all of them of course. :)

thanks zagz...I'll check on the tetras and guppies as well. I already know about the mollies and know I love them but need to branch out a bit as well...thanks!

IMO mollies are very specialized fish. They are more brackish water than fresh and as such they have requirements that most new hobbyists don't consider. Some mollies do adapt to soft, slightly acidic FW aquariums however they are probably not very comfortable and are more prone to stress and disease in that environment.

It's always a good idea to consider not just the temperment, but the water requirements of the species you intend to keep. Then do your best to provide that for them.

Underwater rabbits! :D

Don't forget with the guppies.... it has been known to have guppies and mollies mating.... difficult, but possible.

If I had a 10 gallon, I would make it planted, have a piece of driftwood, and some dark substrate. 2-3 dwarf cories, couple male fancy guppies (yellows), and because it is so small, 2-4 neons..... nice tank ;)

Similar to gfunks-
10Gal_Angle_10-18-05.jpg

Back
Top Bottom