When to feed Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
When should Pleco's be fed? Do they feed at night in the dark like Cories or should algae wafers be put in during the day?

Can also depend on your plecos activities. Mine are out all day long, and I feed them with the other fish. Other plecos may hide during the day and not show their faces til dark. All depends on your plecos activities.

I dont mean to hijack your thread, but this may help too :)

I have a black spotted bulldog pleco, i have never seen it eat any food i have put in for it i.e pleco wafers. Is this nomal? My pleco is out all day too, and all night i think! It must survive on algae alone.
I was worried when i first got him because i had a small pleco die on me from what must have been starvation. I tried to feed it, but wouldn't eat. My brothers bristlenose however is completely different, hides for most of the day, but as soon as he drops an algae wafer in it's straight on it! Eats it up, and then retreats back to its driftwood. His pleco also tends to come out as soon as the lights go out.

Mine hides all day long. elliott, its likely eating those at night and you just aren't seeing it. That's my guess anyways. Plecos will also feed on leftover flake and bottom feeder food as well.

i think it partly depends on what kind of pleco it is - I know my royal and gold nugget arent out much during the day but my bristlenose, rubber lip and clown seem to be.

It seems the same type of fish can very different charateristics, my brothers BN is only ever out after lights out, same with his clown.
I suppose it has a lot to do with the individual tank and other fish they live with.
My bulldog could be eating at night, but im pretty sure it doesnt, my loaches tend to finish anything off thats on the bottom. I think my pleco liveson algae, i do have a lot of it at the moment!

Back
Top Bottom