When to remove seeded filter material used for cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozcheez

Aquarium Advice Regular
I finished my fishless cycle of a 50 gallon tank on 2/27, so it has been fully cycled for a week (tank is stocked) and the API tests are showing continued great results (0ppm ammonia, 0ppm NO2, 10-20ppm NO3).

I have a very large filter on my 10 gallon at work (Tetra Whisper 30-60) that has 2 slots for filter media/sponges. I removed one completely and tucked it in the filter of my 50 gallon (Penguin 350W) for help expediting the cycling.

How long should I wait before I can assume it's safe to remove the media from the 50 gallon and put it back in my 10g tank at work, without risking hurting the newly established cycle?

Thanks for any help! Please let me know if more info is needed.

I wouldn't take it out until u add the fish, then id wait a few weeks to see if the bb will keep the ammonia down.

I wouldnt touch anything for a couple of weeks atleast because this tank is newly cycled. When you do remove it, add some additional media for bb to grow on & monitor your water daily for a week or so after to make sure there are no spikes. If there are, do some extra water changes until your bb catch up. :)

Back
Top Bottom