When to reseal a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I brought home my 65G tank today. It is used, in very good shape, bought brand new in 2009. I don't know how long it was in use for, but when I bought it it was in a storage unit, and has been there all winter. I don't know how long it has sat empty.

The silicone sealing the tank seems to be in good shape, there are quite a few 'rips' in the thinner silicone but nothing that looks like it is bad. The tank does not leak.

My question is.... when do you reseal a tank? This tank is 7 years old, well maintained but stored in freezing temperatures for the past couple months and sat empty for lets say a couple years. Is it worth my peace of mind to reseal? If it doesn't leak, would you just fill it and call it good?

Normally I don't overthink things, but the thought of 65 gallons of water emptying itself into my apartment doesn't sound appealing!

I've heard of tanks with very long life spans but would be interested what others find.

I would try filling (outside if possible :) ) right to the very top of the tank. The added water pressure will test for leaks as a kind of worse case. I'd also just check the tank still seems sturdy without wobble.

A tank that is only 7 years old shouldn't be a problem, unless somehow the silicone has been damaged. A properly assembled tank will not leak even without the inner fillet bead. The fact that it was dry for years and stored in the cold is irrelevant. Silicone doesn't need to be kept wet or shielded from cold. It is designed to be an all weather caulk with a life expectancy of 35 years or more.
While it is often suggested that tanks be filled outside, this can be a recipe for disaster. The tank needs to be placed on a sturdy, flat, level surface whether it is filled indoors or outside.

Back
Top Bottom