Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Question Where Am I in this cycle?

Where does these readings tell you I am in this fish-less cycle? Do I need to still wait, continue to test, any PWC yet, etc....Just want to know where I am in this process..here is a pic of water parameters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121015_091351.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	125028  
__________________

__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Laser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,174
Are those nitrAtes from your tap water? It looks like you are at the point in your cycle where ammonia is being converted heavily into nitrItes, but the nitrItes are not being converted fast enough into nitrAtes. It's hard to say if you need a PWC without seeing your pH level, but my guess is that you don't need one. If there are no nitrAtes in your tap water then you are beginning to see the nitrItes convert into nitrAtes.
__________________

__________________
Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser View Post
Are those nitrAtes from your tap water? It looks like you are at the point in your cycle where ammonia is being converted heavily into nitrItes, but the nitrItes are not being converted fast enough into nitrAtes. It's hard to say if you need a PWC without seeing your pH level, but my guess is that you don't need one. If there are no nitrAtes in your tap water then you are beginning to see the nitrItes convert into nitrAtes.
Ph is 7.4, no my tap water does not have any nitrates in it, do I need to dose ammo back to 4.0, etc...or wait till it is 1 or below...it seems to be between 1.0-2.0 to me...unsure...what do you all see
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Question

Well its been awhile and I have not gotten much feed back here so I did whatever I thought...so I did PWC to get trites down then 24 hours later I added 2 drops of ammo which here are the results half a day later...I hope some one will be nice to help me through this or I am probably going to give it up and just do fish-in...I really wanted to experience fishless successfully
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121017_184000.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	125638  
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Cichlid Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lewistown,Pa
Posts: 1,338
Let the no2 build till you start to see an increase in no3. Let the no3 build to at least 40-60 then do a pwc. Dose ammo to .5-1.0 after pwc of 50% and test 12 hrs later to see how quickly things convert to no3. If at the end of 12 hr period you see no ammo or no2 your cycled.
__________________
Cichlid Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,706
Sorry to say, no one can really tell you where you are "at". When all of the ammonia is converted to nitrate in a 24 hour period you are done.

How much do the levels of ammonia and nitrite drop over a 24 hour period?
__________________
I support the right to arm bears.
blert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid Kid View Post
Let the no2 build till you start to see an increase in no3. Let the no3 build to at least 40-60 then do a pwc. Dose ammo to .5-1.0 after pwc of 50% and test 12 hrs later to see how quickly things convert to no3. If at the end of 12 hr period you see no ammo or no2 your cycled.
First, I thank all that are trying to explain where I may be in this. I have never done fish-less in all my years so fish-in is all I know. I just completed my 55g fish-in and wanted to experience fish-less which makes me curious in what stages I maybe in/at.

Well, for the last couple days I noticed my ammo goes down to 0.25ppm-0.50ppm, 2-6 hours later, after being dosed (depending what I dose it to, 1-4ppm).

The pics are all from yesterday in testing order and the last one is this morning

Nitrates are 20ppm, and trites are off the charts. I have done a PWC one time, I think it was 2 days ago, when I thought I overdosed the ammo...I found out later that I didn't have enough water agitation so I was not getting a good water sample (took care of that, lowered water level).

So this is my reading as of now....I have been kind of doing this thing alone without much feed back so I guess I am suppose to dosey up ammo again????
Can someone be so kind that has done fish-less cycling before tell me do I wait till TRATES are in the red zones and ammo/trites are gone (btw my ammo will not 0 out my waater source has ammo and my other tank tests to 0.25 all the time) or are there other things or signs to believe I maybe cycled..Idk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121017_122817.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	125774   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121017_184000.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	125775  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20121017_213927.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	125776   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121018_080739.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	125777  

__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Bruna75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 134
I was clueless during my fishless cycle, thankfully the kind people here helped me through it I do know when my nitrites were off the charts I waited a couple days and if they didn't go anywhere I did a huge water change. I ended up doing about 4 maybe more total water changes. Lol. Them stinky nitrites wouldn't budge! But out of nowhere I woke up and everything zeroed out one morning my nitrates were off the charts for a couple of weeks before that happened though. My cycle was about 16 days total hope that reassures you I did initially over dose my ammo too :O but did a giant water change as soon as I did
__________________
Bruna75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruna75 View Post
I was clueless during my fishless cycle, thankfully the kind people here helped me through it I do know when my nitrites were off the charts I waited a couple days and if they didn't go anywhere I did a huge water change. I ended up doing about 4 maybe more total water changes. Lol. Them stinky nitrites wouldn't budge! But out of nowhere I woke up and everything zeroed out one morning my nitrates were off the charts for a couple of weeks before that happened though. My cycle was about 16 days total hope that reassures you I did initially over dose my ammo too :O but did a giant water change as soon as I did
I am on day 14 now and was considering doing another PWC 50% to get trites readable then redose ammo to 1-2ppm...is this a good idea?
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Bruna75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 134
How long have your nitrites been off the charts? I really am not the best to give advice seeing I relied on what the people here were telling me to do. Lol. But I know I was told to wait it out a few days and if nothing changed to do a water change. Also to keep an eye on my ph to make sure it didn't drop too much. so honestly I would wait till someone with more knowledge than me to offer some advice I was told a water change wouldn't harm anything also. Like I said I woke up one morning and I was cycled and was not expecting it. It was like an early Xmas present. So try not to go crazy like I did cuz you may wake up with an early present too one morning
__________________
Bruna75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,706
I would get the nitrite level back on the scale. Dose the ammonia back up every 24 hours.
When ammonia and nitrite are reduced to zero over a 24 hour period you are done.
__________________
I support the right to arm bears.
blert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruna75 View Post
How long have your nitrites been off the charts? I really am not the best to give advice seeing I relied on what the people here were telling me to do. Lol. But I know I was told to wait it out a few days and if nothing changed to do a water change. Also to keep an eye on my ph to make sure it didn't drop too much. so honestly I would wait till someone with more knowledge than me to offer some advice I was told a water change wouldn't harm anything also. Like I said I woke up one morning and I was cycled and was not expecting it. It was like an early Xmas present. So try not to go crazy like I did cuz you may wake up with an early present too one morning
Yeah I got a present on my fish-in at 6 weeks and 5 days.....but my trites have been off charts for a good week and trates have been appearing/climbing for the last 3-4 days now...Ph is steady at 7.4 so far......
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
I would get the nitrite level back on the scale. Dose the ammonia back up every 24 hours.
When ammonia and nitrite are reduced to zero over a 24 hour period you are done.
I am so nervous that I may overdose the tank again so when I add drops of ammo, how much time in between should I test before adding more?
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronica
I am so nervous that I may overdose the tank again so when I add drops of ammo, how much time in between should I test before adding more?
Give it about a half hour to mix.
Try this calculator...
http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
__________________
I support the right to arm bears.
blert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by blert View Post
Give it about a half hour to mix.
Try this calculator...
Calculator
Thank you..... BTW not going to use the calculator that is how I overdosed the first time...it was definitely useful when no ammo was present (6ml got me 4ppm reading) UNLESS I don't know how to use it once ammo is present other than that I rather do little by little and test in between....
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronica

Thank you..... BTW not going to use the calculator that is how I overdosed the first time...it was definitely useful when no ammo was present (6ml got me 4ppm reading) UNLESS I don't know how to use it once ammo is present other than that I rather do little by little and test in between....
Simple enough... If your tank is at 1ppm and you want to raise it to 4ppm then just calculate enough for 3ppm.
__________________
I support the right to arm bears.
blert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Okay yesterday I kept having to redose my ammo to 1-2 and today I have dosed ammo to 1-2, now 1-2 hours later I have retest ammo and it is back at 0.25...what do I do???? The first pic is my results from first thing this morning after dosing ammo and second pic is after waiting 1-2 hours...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121019_114937.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	126052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121019_114956.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	126053  

__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
doing a 50-75% PWC to get trites down, redosing 1-2ppm amm0, will add seeded filter media, will retest 30 minutes-1hr later
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,706
Don't stress. The nitrite phase takes longer than the ammonia phase. Don't bother testing and dosing other than every 24 hours or you are going to run the nitrite up very high, your ammonia munching bacteria will not starve in this time. You can even skip a day if you want. Once you start to see the nitrite coming down you will be very close.
__________________
I support the right to arm bears.
blert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Dosed ammo to 2.0 last night....my ammo is never 0 in my cycled tank being ammo is in my source which is 1.0 so my cycled tank stays at .25....here are my readings tonight...yeah getting closer...... trates starting to rise...just redosed ammo again...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121020_215131.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	126485  
__________________

__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.