Where are all my pleco's!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrMalta

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a 38 gallon tank (see link below) and like two months ago I had a pleco in it. A week later, I had not seen it any more for about a month.

So I stopped at the store and picked up three trinidad pleco's.

Now, about a month later after I picked the three up I only see one in the tank. So I'm missing three pleco's, I've checked the filter, the floor, moved the driftwood and such around and have not been able to find any, except for one.

So where have they all gone!

for some reason, my bristlenose pleco is the same way! I finally figured out his hiding spot, but that's the only way I can see him is by looking there. He NEVER comes out. Never! I have no idea how he is still alive, seeing as I've never seen him eat or anything.

My sailfin is the exact opposite. He owns the tank!

It's been 6 weeks since I've last seen my pleco. It's not unusual for me to go a few weeks at a time, but this is the longest it's ever been.

Mine hide also. His spot is under the driftwood, but if I pick up the driftwood, he would suck on the underside & I will not see him unless I turn the whole piece over.

The only time I see him is after lights out. I can sometimes catch him if I sneak up on the tank in the dark with a small flashlight.

for some reason, my bristlenose pleco is the same way! I finally figured out his hiding spot, but that's the only way I can see him is by looking there. He NEVER comes out. Never! I have no idea how he is still alive, seeing as I've never seen him eat or anything.

That could be the reason you don't see the BNP.

So I guess they just like to hide. The one that I can see now should be in hiding soon I guess.

remember that plecos will also eat dead fish - including other plecos. If your other ones died, there is a good chance the rest had a feeding frenzy and disposed of the body before you ever saw it.

I had the same problem when I first got my plecos. After about six months they started coming out though. It just took them a long time to feel secure.
Ive since added a lot of broken flower pots / tubes at one end of the tank to give them plenty of caves / hiding spots. Now its not uncommmon for me to see them out and about, but if you walk past the tank then the Bristlennose hides near instantly :D

my sailfin only comes out when the lights are off, and as long as you don't move! If i sit at my kitchen table he'll come out to eat and explore but the minute I move hes back into hiding!

Back
Top Bottom