Where are my nitrates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Two days ago, I tested my 75gal's parameters.

NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 10-20 ppm
ph = 7.4

I tested today and I now have 5-10ppm. What happened to the nitrates? Are the plants really consuming it that rapidly? Should I pay no attention to this whatsoever? Should I start dosing trates?

Plants do consume nitrates very rapidly. I have a few small crypts and a clump of java moss in my 5 gallon betta tank. My parameters in this tank have been 0-0-0 for a long time. I do dose Seachem Nitrogen twice a week. I am going to try to increase my nitrogen dosing about 20% more a week (gradually) and see what that does. Having a better balance on the nitrates will (hopefully!) reduce my amount of nuisance algae.

I realize one betta doesn't produce nearly the amount of ammonia (converted eventually to nitrates) that your fish in your 75 gallon tank produce, but yes, IME, nitrates are consumed very rapidly by live plants.

I'm far from an expert, but I would also think your nitrates are all taken by your
plants. My tank is 12 days old, needless to say no nitrites/nitrates yet, but even
ammonia is just starting to be barely detectable (after 12 days, and a population
of 36 fish) in other words, the more plants you have, the better for the fish! :mrgreen:
It looks like your tank is going just perfect! 8)

With good light, it's amazing how much the plants will take up... My tank is fairly lightly planted, but even with 6 goldies, the NO3 is undetectable. I've been adding KNO3 to bump up the NO3, and recently have to double the dose to keep a level above 5.

Sometimes I wonder if I even have any biobugs ..... with the plants pulling out the NH3 as fast as the fish is making it, what is the bacteria feeding on?

Back
Top Bottom