where do I put my red tail shark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seasons

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I took in a red tail shark because it was sick and needed medication. Now I have the problem of not knowing what tank to put him in with. ( He is fine now and was isolated in my sick tank) I'm not use to having aggressive fish. I have 3 tanks.

1/ 29 gallon...has..oranda's, giant danios, pleco, knewt and a gourami

2/ 20 gallon...has..giant danios, barbs, red fin tetras, pleco and apple snails

3/ 10 gallons..has..zebra tetras, pleco, 2 columbian sharks, snails and pleco.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Seasons

The oranda, is that a temporary placement in the 29 gal tank? They are more of a coldwater specie and prefer cooler temps whereas the other fish do not. The redtail shark will ultimately need a larger tank than the 29. They are more of a semi-aggressive fish. If it were me, I would not put it in any of the tanks that you have.

The columbian sharks that you have in the 10 gal, those tend to be more brackish than freshwater. I did a quick online search and have found many sources to back that up. They will grow to about 12 inches. They will definately need a larger tank in the near future. What kind of pleco do you have in this tank?

I know that neither tank is a good idea but I do have to pick one of them temporarily. The columbian sharks are small just yet but I will be getting a larger tank so I felt they were fine for now. The 29 gal tank has had those fish in it for 3 years now and all is well. I think my biggest concern with this tank is the knewt. The other fish can all move faster than the red tailed shark. All of the fish in the 20 gallon tank move fairly fast too but I am concerned about the apple snails...there are a fair number of them.

Any more suggestions??

Thanks
Seasons

Well, with your fish choices, you may be headed for some trouble. :? Columbian sharks need full marine water once fully grown, plecos produce lots of poo and many of them (depending on species) get quite large, goldfish should not be mixed with tropicals (they eat different foods and need different temperature water) and I believe newts need to be able to get fully out of the water.

I would not put the red-tailed shark in any of the tanks, and i have seen pictures of colubion sharks over 25inches. They can get huge, go to planetcatfish.com and serach for columbian shark-White tipped shark-White Finned Shark-American Shark Catfish, it goes by many difffernt names.

Just my two cents.

Yes I know that the columbian sharks will get fairly large. Right now they are only about 3 inches. I'll be getting a large tank for them fairly soon.

I'm a bit puzzled over the concern for the 29 gal tank though. The Oranda, giant danios, pleco, gourami and newt have been there for over 3 yrs now and no problems. The newt was previously in another tank but has been doing well for the last 3 yrs in this tank. I have some plants that float on top of the water and he hangs out there sometimes but seems to perfer to be in the water...and going by his age ..I guess its worked out well for him. I do appreciate all the advice though. It's confirmed for me that I'll need another tank for the red tailed shark....any suggestions on what to put in with him??

I know that the pleco's can get quite large. I have an arrangement with the fish store to take them in for someone with a larger tank if they get too big. The one I have with the 29 gallon tank is fairly large but hasn't been growing for the last year.

Thanks
Seasons

On the subject of your red-tail....we had two but one got too stressed from the other one not realizing how territorial they acutally are. I would suggest the 29gal to put it in just because there's more room for the red-tail to roam. From what I've observed, red-tails are VERY territorial and aggressive...the one we have chases all our other fish no matter the size. The Angels and one of the Bala sharks are like twice its size and makes no difference. Just make sure too that you have plenty of hiding places, if your red-tail has places to hide...it'll be happy.

Back
Top Bottom