Where do you go for slate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to build my own stone caves and stacks of rock using various sized pieces of flat slate. Our specialty LFS here in town carries it, but they want outrageous amounts of $$ for it (like $3 a pound or something rediculous like that). Can I not get this same slate at Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards or someplace similar for much less than that? I mostly don't care about size or shape as it can be broken into pieces that I want. I just want some gray/brown and maybe some red slate to stack into whatever configuration strikes my mood and keeps my fish happy.

you can buy slate flooring tiles at lowes, thats about it really, otherwise I would go to a landscaping store and see what they have, maybe you can find it in some creek beds

I got mine on sale at a LFS that was remodeling so it wasn't too bad,but I suspected the local landscape supplier would be much cheaper even as I was buying it at the discounted price.

Good question to post...the price is out of hand in the fish stores.

Fatz

I am planning to use slate as well for my 55gal. I'm going to go to a garden store and also lowes/Home depot to see what they have. I am also getting a bunch of small stones to build terracing in my 50gal. I'll let you all know about the prices.

I got a lot of my rock at a local garden center. I think they only charged about 50 cents a pound, and they had a lot of different kinds of rock. I didn't buy any slate, but I'm pretty sure they have it. You might want to check a place like that. I bought 70 pounds of rock for my 55 gallon, so I would have to agree that $3 a pound is outrageous!

Slate from Home Depot and Lowe's

will be from India or China. Its not actually slate but shale(compressed mud w/ other stuff) but thats another topic. Anyway I've seen what looks like iron residue on some of these tiles with orange-colored stains, so be careful. If you are in the Northeast you may be able to get Vermont tiles which is real slate and comes in grey, green, black, and red. Specialty tile stores usually stock the most varied selections of slate.

I get mine from the shore of Lake Ontario. It's mostly black, but has been smoothed by the wave action. Best of all it is free.

Back
Top Bottom