Where do you throw your dirty water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squareheads

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after doing my routined water changes I have come to realize whether or
not I was doing something right. Because everytime I siphone out the dirty
water I throw it into my front yard and my mother's plants.

I was wondering if this is a good idea or not. I did this because I didn't want
to waste water... and I thought the ammonia would be healthy for the soil
But I began to wonder whether it iiiis good for the soil because we put
all sorts of chemicals in the water of our aquariums and wouldn't that harm
the plants like herbicides?

I always divert the waste water to the yard and garden. It will do no harm at all and should be very good for them.

My garden, and potted plants. They grow wonderfully :D I never need to add fertilisers to them.
Don't waste such precious water.

I water all the house plants first then go to the outside plants, what's left goes down the drain. With 6 tanks and 2 new ones in the works, I have lots of waste water lol

We've dumped the water just in a specific spot for about 3 weeks now, and it's come up with a ton of weeds exactly there! So there must be something in there that the plants like.

For me (tank is on second floor) it's a hassle so normally it goes down the toilet. But for particularly cruddy work such as cleaning the filter, substrate, or if I get under a large plant that has a lot of buildup I'll make the trek downstairs to one of the plants/trees in the yard. It is WONDERFUL stuff, so if it's easy for you to use, don't waste it!

By the way... I once started a thread like this on some other forums...
Apart from people fearing of salmonella, I got quite positive feedback.

The only bad experience I had was where the back end of the 5gallon container (it's a 40lb cat litter tub) caught the tip of the step on the way down the stairs. The wife was NOT pleased when she saw what I was cleaning up. :rolleyes:

The only bad experience I had was where the back end of the 5gallon container (it's a 40lb cat litter tub) caught the tip of the step on the way down the stairs. The wife was NOT pleased when she saw what I was cleaning up. :rolleyes:
do you mean you were carrying that tank full of water? I use a 5g plastic pail. Its easier to handle.

do you mean you were carrying that tank full of water? I use a 5g plastic pail. Its easier to handle.

No, no. 5gallon plastic container that was from a cat litter product. Has a nice handle and closes, but I accidentally got the back tip caught on the stairs when walking down them which spilled a nice 1/2 gallon of HORRIBLE water on the carpeted stairs......

awww. I understand now(and I'm sounding stupid too). That was a terrible experience!!

i just pour it down the tub in my basement washroom, everyone knows that basement washrooms are all ways skuzzy anyway........

I always divert the waste water to the yard and garden. It will do no harm at all and should be very good for them.
it does wonders. mine goes to the fruit trees which in turn becomes fish food for the ones with bugs or dropped on the ground.

i do not live in a house with a yard or do i care for any terrestrial plants, but this is good to know that all the nutrients in the water can be used by the plants...
the more i get into this hobby the more i appreciate the wonders of life and nature

Back
Top Bottom