where may I buy a Siamese Algae Eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you asked if they would order them? A good number of places will order if you ask nicely.

good point now that I have never did lol, I do Appreciate all the help from everyone and AA for hosting this great forum thanks

I agree, try ordering from your lfs. If you order online the shipping is going to cost more than the fish.

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

This article tells you the difference between SAE, false SAE, flying foxes & CAE. They are often mixed up & mislabeled at lfs, so you need to ID the fish yourself. <And sometimes SAE's are called "false flying fox", might try look for them under that name.> If you are into algae control, you want to get true SAE. Stay away from CAE's - they get too big, don't eat algae, & eventually will get big enough to eat your fish.

Ocassionally, you will find SAE's mixed up with CAE's or flying foxes in a shipment. The young of all these looked very much the same. Places like PetSmart don't know the difference. Our local PS have just a tank labeled "algae eater" without qualification. If you are sure of your ID, you can sometimes find SAE's in there. Just be sure you don't pick up CAE's by mistake.

Key points - SAE has NO sucker mouth, ONE pair of barbels, and black strip that extend INTO the caudal fins all the way to the fork.

tropicfishman said:
becareful they do get big and mean, but most pet stores have them, even walmart does usually

I think you are refering to Chinese Algae eater (aka Golden Algae eater - a color morph), not the Siamese Algae eater. Most lfs & Walmart have CAEs & they do get big (12") & eat fish. True SAEs (4") are not agressive but are hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom