Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

where should I put the cory sandbox?

I just picked up a 9" pie pan at Goodwill and would like to use it as a sandbox in one of the corners of my tank. My preference would be towards the back but if I do this, it will either be underneath the intake for my AC 30 filter or under the output / outflow of my AC 50 filter. It won't be directly beneath the filter but those are roughly my options. Please let me know if you think neither would be good.

Also, a pet store had 5lb bags of sand on sale. It says nothing about being for marine tanks, it's just a bag of sand. I'm gonna spend the next hour or so rinsing it but do you think it would be okay?

Thanks, from me & the cories!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

The sand is fine under your intake, the sand has more weight than you think. And the discharge side should be a fine spot too.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. My concern was that I've read that some people who also use the AquaClear filters (mine are 30 & 50) have had problems with their sand substrate getting into the filter & gradually destroying the impeller. Think this was typically with larger cichlids who like to sift & build sand-forts & I doubt the cories will cause that much disruption, but am a long way from being able to afford a new filter & really don't want to risk it.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could get a pre-filter.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #5
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have an Aqua Clear on my 10G with the black moon sand in it (which is lighter and finer than regular sand, I think). The rainbow shark thrashes the heck out of the stuff, but the sand still doesn't make it into the intake. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stick a piece of sponge in the intake tube or put a media bag over the intake. My Penguin 200 sucked up some sand when my raphael cat was digging and it ate the impeller. I have an AC30 on another tank and I was leveling the sand and a few grains got sucked in and stalled the filter. Better safe than sorry.

Tags
cory, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com