Where to Buy Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can anyone recommend a place that I can buy driftwood and see a picture of what I am getting first? I wanted to get something that looks less like a chunk of wood, but rather something that branches out more. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

You might want to check out Manzanita for what you are looking for. While you don't get to see a picture of the exact peices you are getting, you do see representative pieces. With the amount of driftwood that you get, you'll be very likely to get several peices that will work well. I've also heard that you can specify whether you'd prefer branchy peices, burls, etc.

To see exactly what you're ordering, you'll probably have to go to eBay or Aquabid.

Agreed. One thing about manzanita.com is that you can call them and they'll cherry pick pieces for you based on what you're looking for.

Also, check on APC. There was a guy on there selling manzanita packages, that he would post pictures for you to choose from so you can see what you're actually buying.

That Manzanita stuff looks nice and it's not too expensive. Does it sink or do you have to weigh it down? Are there a lot of Tannins in it?

I don't know if you mean specifically online or not. I know many LFS have some very nice pieces but they are usually $30+. I found a few sellers on eBay with some good feedback from their driftwood. Some guys even drill a slab of slate to weigh the wood down for you. I just picked up a bag (at petsmart) that was for reptile/bird cages. Had about 6 pieces of assorted lengths for about $12.

The manzanita will require a few weeks to sink, and does leach some tannins, but this is the case with nearly all driftwood unless you buy it from an LFS or a person that has it already in a tank. Boiling the items can help to expedite the process.

Back
Top Bottom