Which 240 gallon! Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which 240 gallon! Why?

• Total voters

DugOut

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to choose between 2 different sizes for a 240 gallon glass aquarium;
I am stuck between long or tall. Once it gets delivered, it will be to late to change my mind because the shipping is only free one way.

A) Dimensions are 96" x 24" x 25" tall
B) Dimensions are 72" x 24" x 31" tall.

Which would you prefer and why?

NICE!:D

I'm assuming you have space for either tank, so if the length isn't an issue, I personally would go with A (96 x 24 x 25) because:

1) the extra top water surface area means better oxygenation.
2) the extra bottom surface area means more room for decorations, plants and bottom dwellers.
3) The extra length would give fish more room to swim in a straight line, and would distribute the tank's weight over a larger area of floor.
4) It would probably be easier to decorate and clean than the deeper tank.

Is this a glass or acrylic tank?
Any idea what you'll be putting in it (the possibilities are huge)? :bowl:

FYI, the tank will weigh about 2400 pounds full, with subatrate and decor. If it's not going on a concrete floor, you probably should have an engineer check out your flooring.

Ditto for the 8' tank. You can't reach the bottom of a tank that is 30" deep, which makes it difficult to work on. The longer tank will also look bigger. All the reasons above are also good and valid.

Same here, A is a better choice in my opinion for all the same reasons. Also, for maintenance and moving ornaments around, you don't have to dive in to your shoulder to do it.

My wife won't tell me where she ordered it from or how much she is paying for it because it is gonna be my Christmas gift. I have a fresh water fish that has a possibility to grow fairly large. (Too much confrontation on the forum to mention the type) She wanted to order a 300 gallon (96" x 24" x 31" tall) but the delivery wouldn"t be until mid-January if not Feb. We have plenty of room for either, This large of a tank will really show off the east wall in my down stairs office. Plus give my fish plenty of room to roam.

I'm looking at a 300G for my Master Bedroom. But because of the depth, I might opt for the 240 instead. Also, I asked them how much a 300G glass weighed empty, and they said approx 500 pounds. And that's just the empty aquarium. I got the perfect wall for it too, and with my house being single level and the master bedroom is on concrete slab, I can go as big as I want. :)

My office sits on the finished basement concrete. I use to have my customers come in through the front of the house but after the company grew, there was just to much traffic in and out of the house to maintain any privacy for my family. I am having my floor installers come and remove the carpet and padding from the area and install a slabrock floor.

Will Do! ""Thanks Everyone for your opinion.""

I was looking towards the taller tank but as you all mentioned and I toke notice, I already have to reach above my elbow in my 21 1/2" deep aquarium. I am glad I asked for your help!!!

Also, when you look at the wall, a longer tank will look more appealing as well, more to look at, especially if you are getting it with a stand and canopy. Are you getting the whole setup with canopy? Good luck with your setup. :)

Very nice! I would also choose A for all the reasons listed above and also because some fish do much better in a shorter tank. But I can't deny that my 24" tank is a pain to clean at the bottom!

Too much confrontation on the forum to mention the type)
I want to know now :twisted:
go the long, I think longer and lower tanks look better and gives more chances of terrotorial issues being non-existent.
all i did was make the stand higher so it was easier to see into it instead of looking down into it.

I'm with the rest, 24" is as deep as I will ever go again. I had a 135H one time, and finally sold it at a huge loss. It LOOKS great, but if I wanted to do anything on the bottom of the tank, my face was actually in the water. If I remember right, it was 36" tall. I had a diving mask to wear for tending to the tank. To make it better, I had it set up as a planted tank! I sure felt close to my fish, but I can live without a wet head in support of my hobby.

Get the 24". You'll be happy you did for maintenance reasons alone, let alone the rest of it. Improved gas transfer, more substrate, etc... that's all just a bonus. :)

Back
Top Bottom