Which Algae Eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fubie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. For cleaning algae, all types, which cleaner would you get and why? What are you experiences with them and community fish?

1) Siamese Algae Eater
2) American Flag Fish

I already have some Otocinclus, that is why I left them out of the list. I am pretty sure I can not get either of these fish locally so where would you recommend I look online? Preferably a reputable dealer! Thanks.

How big is the tank.. SAE's get really big.. 10".. And why not keep the tank in balance so you dont get algae in the first place? Is it a planted tank?

Having experience with both species of fish you mentioned, I would say that if you are fighting black brush algae then the SAE is the way to go. For thread algae then the American-Flag Fish is your best bet. Both do well as a community fish for the most part although if you have a pair of the latter that are spawning then they can get somewhat aggressive.

gm this isn't for my current 10g tank but my new, larger (I hope soon) tank. Which I will also have planted. I agree after all I have learned here that I would much rather keep the algae in check before it breaks out, but I also would prefer to have a biological algae eater instead of using chemicals! :)

I'd also reccommend the SAE, but be careful when you're picking them out. Some places mislabel a Chinese AE as an SAE. The Chineese AE won't eat black brush algae. I know the difference is in the lateral stripe, but I forget which is which off the top of my head. I've loaned my fish encyclopedia to a friend so if someone doesn't post the difference by the time I get it back, I'll post again.

Thanks. I knew one of them had the line that went all the way to the fork, but I couldn't remember which one off the top of my head. I didn't want to give the wrong info out.

Glad to help. Even my LFS adds somewhat to the confusion about the identification because they refer to it as the Thai Flying Fox.

I think its funny that the local Petsmart doesn't try - they label it "algae eater"

Fubie said:
Hey everyone. For cleaning algae, all types, which cleaner would you get and why? What are you experiences with them and community fish?

1) Siamese Algae Eater
2) American Flag Fish

I already have some Otocinclus, that is why I left them out of the list. I am pretty sure I can not get either of these fish locally so where would you recommend I look online? Preferably a reputable dealer! Thanks.

If you already have otos and you still have an algea problem, it might be a better idea to look into the cause of the algea rather than buy more algea eaters.

Tony Starks said:
If you already have otos and you still have an algea problem, it might be a better idea to look into the cause of the algea rather than buy more algea eaters.
:evil:

Thanks Tony. :roll: Been there, already told that by greenmagi. :oops: I'll repeat what I told gm on the first page, fourth reply down of this thread:

Fubie said:
gm this isn't for my current 10g tank but my new, larger (I hope soon) tank. Which I will also have planted. I agree after all I have learned here that I would much rather keep the algae in check before it breaks out, but I also would prefer to have a biological algae eater instead of using chemicals! :)

I'm sure the cause of my black brush algae in my current tank is my high phosphate level, which I'm asking about and taking care of in this thread, Phosphate reduction 101.

I have an interesting personal observation and statement for those who care. It cracks me up when n00b posters, such as myself, are told they should search or read the stickies. I agree fully! Yet people with thousands of posts don't read an entire thread before they post an obvious reply and haven't checked to make sure that it hasn't already been stated. Again this is a personal statement and not an attack on anyone.

I hope the flame wars don't begin. I'm here to learn about my fish and aquarium. Hopefully the same as the rest of you.

Fubie said:
It cracks me up when n00b posters, such as myself, are told they should search or read the stickies. I agree fully! Yet people with thousands of posts don't read an entire thread before they post an obvious reply and haven't checked to make sure that it hasn't already been stated. Again this is a personal statement and not an attack on anyone.

I hope the flame wars don't begin. I'm here to learn about my fish and aquarium. Hopefully the same as the rest of you.

It cracks me up when someone with 42 posts doesn't listen to the good advice given by green so I have to reiterate it. If its an obvious reply, why did you make the thread in the first place? He and I both tried to put it as delicatly as possible that you are making a mistake getting more fish to "band-aid" the problem with your tank, but you don't want to hear it. Get your tank in order before you start calling people out for the HELP they try to give.

Dude listen to what I posted on the first page. I'm NOT asking for my current rig. Hence what I told greenmagi. I want to know what I can add to my next, larger tank to help with algae outbreaks that happen even if I have everything under control. That is bound to happen once in awhile. Besides I've read that both SAE's and American Flag Fish are cool fish to have in general.

Tony Starks said:
...If its an obvious reply, why did you make the thread...
Your statement was obvious, because greenmagi had already said pretty much the same thing on the previous page. Hence why I stated that this thread was not for my current tank immediately after his.

Tony Starks said:
He and I both tried to put it as delicately as possible..."
greenmagi told me what he thought I needed to know. He has dealt, very kindly I might add, to each of my previous threads in regards to issues I was or still am having with my 10 gallon tank. I respect his help. Thank you gm! This was all before I let everyone know that this thread was for another tank I am going to start. NOT THE ONE I HAVE NOW. There is nothing delicate about your single statement to me though. I have had quite civil discussions with gm and many others in my threads here. I came to this forum because I want to learn and have to ask questions to do that since I'm new to this hobby.

Tony Starks said:
...you are making a mistake getting more fish to "band-aid" the problem with your tank, but you don't want to hear it.
What mistake? I am asking for a new tank I haven't even started yet. I want to hear what everyone has to say. As long as they don't repeat what others have already said. If you had read the first part of my thread you would have seen that. As for my current 10 gallon let's see. I have posted 2 topics for questions I have about that aquarium. They are Phosphate reduction 101 and Hazy, cloudy water issues. I am on going with the phosphate reduction and am starting to win that battle. With gm's help that is.

Tony Starks said:
Get your tank in order before you start calling people out for the HELP they try to give.
If you are talking about my current 10g I am working on that. gm's and TankGirls help has been instrumental. If you are talking about the non-existent tank of which this thread is about I can't help you there bud. I guess I'll have to take the hit for not having a tank that doesn't exist "in order" as you so eloquently put it. :roll:

I would much rather have some of your insight into building a great tank instead of the "ball busting" I'm getting now. Being a n00b on these forums is hard enough but doesn't mean you have to treat me like one. But if you insist we can continue the flame war. :? I would much rather not though.

Thanks for the complements.. :oops: as close to blushing as I can get..LOL
I didnt know that you were considering the fish for a new tank.. It is advised that you have some fish/shrimp to help with algae but of course thats not the answer to the problem.. I feel that more information is needed.. And for Tony.. well I am not Steve Hampton.. but I just got done reading all of his site and I think this site would help out Fubie alot so Im going to give the link! :mrgreen:
http://www.aquariaplants.com/
Fubie.. If you can find the time to read this site it would answer most of the questions you have posted.. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the site gm. I've read some, but not all of his site. Has anyone else good or bad experiences with either of these fish? Thanks.

P.S. Tony I'll take your suggestion under consideration... ;)

Well I'm thinking about a 29 or 30 gal tank. Where we have to put the tank space is an issue. So in that case is it still to small for an SAE??

Back
Top Bottom