which algae eater combo to use and .....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a 29 gallon tank with Tiger + Black ruby barbs, corys, clown and Yo Yo loaches. I recently purchased a Chinese algae eater (which I have since been told [and read] isn't the best at eating algae and is also really mean). I'm interested in something that will eat the brown algae that resides on my tank glass, on my driftwood, and on the rocks and gravel. I will probably be taking back the Chinese algae eater real soon. I'm looking at otto cat (probably 2), the flying fox (only 1), and the hard to find Siamese algae eater (only 1). I may combine some of these fish. Are there incompatibilities between any of the 4 algae eaters mentioned (Chinese & Siamese algae eaters, flying fox, and ottos)? How many of these algae eaters can a 29 gallon tank with only plastic plants support? How easy is it to supplement food to algae eaters in the absence of enough algae? This is related to my previous question but I didn't get much feedback and I'm really interested in this type of fish. I also plan to move some fish to a 55 and 75 gallon tank when they start to grow much so I'm aware that many of my fish listed will require a bigger tank. I guess I'm searching for info on algae eaters in general.

I have never had trouble with my chinese algae eaters. They are usually the timid ones. Even a small one can clear a tank of algae pretty quickly. Best kept alone rather than in pairs as they are territorial. SAE aren't really aggressive, but maybe a little too hyper--they dont try to harm other fish but sometimes play an unwanted one-sided game of tag. Flying foxes get more aggressive as they grow. I had one that picked on my other fish, hogged all the flake food and didn't eat any algae. Otto's are docile but are sensitive to water conditions. They do love the brown diatom algae. Best kept in groups. One of the small pleco varieties is another option. Bristlenose or pitbull, etc. Common pleco's will outgrow your 29 gallon. I supplement my otto's, pleco, and cae with cucumber and zucchini slices weighted to the bottom. My cae ignores algae wafers. Provide hiding places as most algae eaters are more active at night. Again this is my experience and ymmv.

How easy is it to supplement food to algae eaters in the absence of enough algae?

FWIW (newbie) it took two separate attempts in two weeks for the oto in my tank to take zucchini. He still only eats around "algae wafers", but I've read here that "bottom dweller wafers" are more likely to work.

I had a Chinese algae eater in one of my newbie tanks. The tank was a 27 hex and the cae kept it totally free of algae. I wish I would have known what I was doing at the time, I think I killed it because I assumed that it could just live off the algae in the tank. It never became aggressive toward any other fish. Now I have a bristle nose pleco (20 gal), a clown pleco (29 gal), and a sailfin pleco (55 gal), which would definitely outgrow your tank. I don't have algae problems in any of my tanks. I have never kept flying fox or ottos so I can't help ya there. Good luck with whatever you pick! :D

I have a chocolate pleco in my 29 gallon tank. I picked him because they are non aggressive, they do a good job and they only get to be around 6" long. So far he is about 4.5" long and he does an excellent job of cleaning my tank. I throw an algae wafer in every few days just to be sure he has something to eat.

algae eater info

Thanks for all of your input. It has helped me alot.

Back
Top Bottom