Which algae eater for a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FishCr8zy, you need to use the edit button instead of multiple posts.

OP a Siamese algae eater isn't recommended. The minimum requirement is said to be 30 gallons, they grow to be about 6" and I wouldn't suggest it in a ten gallon tank or any 6" fish in a ten gallon.

FishCr8zy, you need to use the edit button instead of multiple posts.

OP a Siamese algae eater isn't recommended. The minimum requirement is said to be 30 gallons, they grow to be about 6" and I wouldn't suggest it in a ten gallon tank or any 6" fish in a ten gallon.

Ok but don't bristlenose plecos cost a lot more?

Ok but don't bristlenose plecos cost a lot more?

Depends on where you go I guess, I've seen them as the same price. I wouldn't recommend BNPs either, again its another 4"-6" fish that will produce even more waste than you expect for its body size and probably make your situation worse with excess nitrates.

I'm actually trying out a couple of nerite snails for my 29 gallon tank, ordered from Bob's Tropical Plants - Home. They're supposedly one of the better algae eaters for freshwater because their eggs are nonviable in freshwater conditions.

I also have 2 mystery snails, and while they're awesome to watch they don't seem to make a huge dent in any algae in my tank. My gobies do a decent job, but I'm trying out these nerites to see if they'll get some of the areas the gobies don't seem to want to feed on.

Snails are way more entertaining aquarium pets than I figured on. I would consider trying them. Look up some google pics of the nerites if you're really concerned about getting the wrong one. They're about 1/2" to 1" adult size I believe.

what kind of gobies do you have?

what kind of gobies do you have?

I've got two West African Algae Eating Gobies (sycidium sp.) They are super cool, but I don't know how they would do in a 10 gallon. Although they're smaller than the Siamese Algae Eater or the Bristlenose Pleco they are CRAZY active fish. They burrow some in the substrate as well. They're a pretty new species to the hobby as far as I can tell, very little info out there on them. Mine are all over my 29 gallon, and enjoy the filter being on high flow. They actually jump in to the filter outflow sometimes! They do graze on algae, but I think they will be too active for your tank. I'd stick with nerite snails if I were in your position.

I've got two West African Algae Eating Gobies (sycidium sp.) They are super cool, but I don't know how they would do in a 10 gallon. Although they're smaller than the Siamese Algae Eater or the Bristlenose Pleco they are CRAZY active fish. They burrow some in the substrate as well. They're a pretty new species to the hobby as far as I can tell, very little info out there on them. Mine are all over my 29 gallon, and enjoy the filter being on high flow. They actually jump in to the filter outflow sometimes! They do graze on algae, but I think they will be too active for your tank. I'd stick with nerite snails if I were in your position.

I'm not the original OP. could you please post some current picture of your gobies? i'm have a crush on gobies, esp when i can't set up a saltwater tank

Depends on where you go I guess, I've seen them as the same price. I wouldn't recommend BNPs either, again its another 4"-6" fish that will produce even more waste than you expect for its body size and probably make your situation worse with excess nitrates.

So what would you suggest?

Nerite snails are the best size-appropriate algae eaters for a 10 gal. I'd agree though that the OTHER best thing is to address the algae causing issue itself and/or manually clean it with a little elbow grease. :)

Nerite snails are the best size-appropriate algae eaters for a 10 gal. I'd agree though that the OTHER best thing is to address the algae causing issue itself and/or manually clean it with a little elbow grease. :)

Yes nerite snails r algae cleaner pros. There eggs also can't hatch in freshwater.

Be careful getting a plec for a 10 gallon tank. I had one in my 10g that I raised from about an inch to six inches before he had to be rehomed in a friend's larger tank. Now he is closer to 10 inches.

While he was a fantastic algae eater, he pooed a lot, which meant religiously cleaning out the poo every few days. If you don't, the bioload can disrupt the equilibrium in a small tank. I learned that the hard way.

Be careful getting a plec for a 10 gallon tank. I had one in my 10g that I raised from about an inch to six inches before he had to be rehomed in a friend's larger tank. Now he is closer to 10 inches.

While he was a fantastic algae eater, he pooed a lot, which meant religiously cleaning out the poo every few days. If you don't, the bioload can disrupt the equilibrium in a small tank. I learned that the hard way.

Did u get a normal Pleco? Those will get over a foot long. I was talking about the smaller versions. ( clown, bristlenose, etc )

I'm not the original OP. could you please post some current picture of your gobies? i'm have a crush on gobies, esp when i can't set up a saltwater tank

Here's a couple shots from today. They're fast little buggers, hard to photograph.

I still second the nerite snail. 10 gallons is awful small for a grazing fish.

Attachments

• image-3810263679.jpg
    image-3810263679.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3125806771.jpg
    image-3125806771.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 66
Otos r pretty good too. But harder to care for

I have had otos with no problems and my sister had them before me in very poor conditions.. but if im not mistaken its really recommended for otos to have a 20g .. they dont grow big so im not sure why i did keep mine in a 10g with no problems now i have 5 in my 55g and it never gets algae

I have had otos with no problems and my sister had them before me in very poor conditions.. but if im not mistaken its really recommended for otos to have a 20g .. they dont grow big so im not sure why i did keep mine in a 10g with no problems now i have 5 in my 55g and it never gets algae

Yes. I had 3 otos before in a 10 gal but after a few months, they seemed to disappear one by one. I didn't have any aggressive fish in their either. Just some neon tetras. But they prob could have done better in a larger tank.

So,I believe it's decided.The next time i go to the lfs a Nerite snail will be on my shopping list:).Also,I don't have algae yet,but a little is starting to grow and I don't want it spreading.Thank you for all of your suggestions:D.

So,I believe it's decided.The next time i go to the lfs a Nerite snail will be on my shopping list:).Also,I don't have algae yet,but a little is starting to grow and I don't want it spreading.Thank you for all of your suggestions:D.

Ummm,what do you feed snails?algae wafers?

Back
Top Bottom