Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
They should get by just fine with whatever algae and biofilm is in the tank, they should also scavenge whatever good is left behind by your other fish. I haven't had to feed any of my snails yet.
__________________

Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #62
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montgomery,LA (Central Louisiana)
Posts: 874
I add some veggies in my tank some times at night for them to get more calcium for their shells ..
__________________

__________________
kjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leatherback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276
So they will get along fine without adding algae wafers?
__________________
Leatherback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherback1 View Post
So they will get along fine without adding algae wafers?
You should have something on hand just in case, but I wouldn't feed it regularly.
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leatherback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post

You should have something on hand just in case, but I wouldn't feed it regularly.
Just in case what?
__________________
Leatherback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherback1 View Post

Just in case what?
In case you notice there's nothing in your tank for them to eat for an extended amount of time
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leatherback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post

In case you notice there's nothing in your tank for them to eat for an extended amount of time
Ok another question,I want to add some plants to my tank but have no idea how.I asked around a bit and apparently a plant called java fern doesn't really require care-all you need to do is add it to your tank.Is this true?Also,what would happen if I just bought a moss ball and added it?
__________________
Leatherback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
All true aquatic plants require care, just some dont require much. Java ferns are great less demanding low light plants. Attach them to driftwood, rocks or decorations that aren't too smooth, or plant the roots making sure the rhizome isn't buried. The don't require much fertilization so no need for root tabs but I would suggest dosing a product like seachem flourish comprehensive weekly. A bottle of flourish would last a very long time with a ten gallon tank.
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leatherback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post
All true aquatic plants require care, just some dont require much. Java ferns are great less demanding low light plants. Attach them to driftwood, rocks or decorations that aren't too smooth, or plant the roots making sure the rhizome isn't buried. The don't require much fertilization so no need for root tabs but I would suggest dosing a product like seachem flourish comprehensive weekly. A bottle of flourish would last a very long time with a ten gallon tank.
What kind of decorations should I attach it to?I don't have any driftwood or rocks
__________________
Leatherback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherback1 View Post
What kind of decorations should I attach it to?I don't have any driftwood or rocks
Whatever you want. I've attached java fern and anubias nana to the tan cave decoration you have to the far left in your photos. I used to have the same one. Use a rubber band or fishing line and then in a month or so you should be able to remove the bands
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leatherback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post
Whatever you want. I've attached java fern and anubias nana to the tan cave decoration you have to the far left in your photos. I used to have the same one. Use a rubber band or fishing line and then in a month or so you should be able to remove the bands
Oh great!so rubber bands are fine in the tank?nothing gets messed up
__________________
Leatherback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherback1 View Post

Oh great!so rubber bands are fine in the tank?nothing gets messed up
As long as they're clean I guess. I used rubber bands from the LFS that they use to tie fish bags up with. They'll deteriorate in your water eventually, but you should be taking them out long before that happens
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #73
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leatherback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post

As long as they're clean I guess. I used rubber bands from the LFS that they use to tie fish bags up with. They'll deteriorate in your water eventually, but you should be taking them out long before that happens
So I need to buy :
•1 Nerite snail(use rubber band)
•1 java fern
•1 seachem flourish?
__________________
Leatherback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #74
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
You could probably do 2 or 3 nerites if you wanted, but I wouldn't use rubber bands on them, the rubber bands are for the java fern haha.
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post
You could probably do 2 or 3 nerites if you wanted, but I wouldn't use rubber bands on them, the rubber bands are for the java fern haha.
Lol. Rubber band on nerite snail. I wonder what that does.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

Lol. Rubber band on nerite snail. I wonder what that does.
Haha it would surely keep the nerite's rhizome out of the substrate hahah
Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmanski View Post

Haha it would surely keep the nerite's rhizome out of the substrate hahah
Lol. Yup definitely right!! XD
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #78
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leatherback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276
What exactly is a rhizome?
__________________
Leatherback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherback1 View Post
What exactly is a rhizome?
It's the long thick part of some plants that all the leaves sprout from. The rhizome cannot be buried becuz it will rot and the plant will die.
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Leatherback1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 276
Ok,time to get back in business.So right now my tank is cycled and the current stocking is:
2 black neons tetras
2 neon tetras
2 guppies
1 emerald green Cory


I am getting some serious algae in my tank.I want to buy 2 Otos to take care of this problem.I looked on AqAdvisor and it said it would be fine.Any advice?
__________________

__________________
Leatherback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
10 gallon, algae, algae eater, eat, eater, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.