Which algae eater for a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok,time to get back in business.So right now my tank is cycled and the current stocking is:
2 black neons tetras
2 neon tetras
2 guppies
1 emerald green Cory

I am getting some serious algae in my tank.I want to buy 2 Otos to take care of this problem.I looked on AqAdvisor and it said it would be fine.Any advice?

Just get your tank away from the window

Oh here some pics of the fish

Attachments

• image-2192460656.jpg
    image-2192460656.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2370766948.jpg
    image-2370766948.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3457588967.jpg
    image-3457588967.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 71
How many otocniclus do you think I could add?I want 3 but im not sure i hqve room and if I get 2 its not good for them.....

Actually had a bad algae problem earlier this year, was looking around for various algae eaters and eventually settled for a pair of Hillstream Loaches, I wonder if they ever rest they always...ALWAYS eating, now my tank is near spotless and theyve even cleaned the vents of filter :lol:

A few weeks back my Apple snail had some algae growing on shell, they cleaned her as well lol!!!!

I dont recall what size tank you have but i had 3 otos in a 10g and they did fine although i currently have them in a 55g and added a few more to there numbers.. i also dont think only having the 2 would matter as mine had 2 together and a loner... your cories like bigger numbers as well but depending on your tank size i wouldnt add more the emerald cories get larger then the others and their scientific name is different then the rest..

Also the moving away from the window doesnt always help.. i have brown algae problems in my tanks and none of them get sunlight at all from the windows as we have those thick blackout curtains in our living room but the tank with the ottos is the only tank that doesnt get it and also the tanl i added a couple mystery snails in ..

I dont recall what size tank you have but i had 3 otos in a 10g and they did fine although i currently have them in a 55g and added a few more to there numbers.. i also dont think only having the 2 would matter as mine had 2 together and a loner... your cories like bigger numbers as well but depending on your tank size i wouldnt add more the emerald cories get larger then the others and their scientific name is different then the rest..

Also the moving away from the window doesnt always help.. i have brown algae problems in my tanks and none of them get sunlight at all from the windows as we have those thick blackout curtains in our living room but the tank with the ottos is the only tank that doesnt get it and also the tanl i added a couple mystery snails in ..

Thx for the info.My tank is a 10 gallon.I hope that my tank isn't too overstocked but I am definitely not adding any more fish.Right now I have
2guppies
2 neon tetras
2black neon tetras
1 small 2" emerald Cory
2 Siamese flying fox(just got em today and already see difference in my algae)

Apparently the Siamese ones are a relative of the oto and that was all they had in stock.I took a chance and bought 2 and its working out great!!Get along fine with all of my fish:).

Hers a few pics of the tank and its fish:Cory is hiding:)

Attachments

• image-3483588811.jpg
    image-3483588811.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3618474247.jpg
    image-3618474247.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 60
  • image-2193887187.jpg
    image-2193887187.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2079854314.jpg
    image-2079854314.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 46
  • image-3022939244.jpg
    image-3022939244.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 55
Thx for the info.My tank is a 10 gallon.I hope that my tank isn't too overstocked but I am definitely not adding any more fish.Right now I have
2guppies
2 neon tetras
2black neon tetras
1 small 2" emerald Cory
2 Siamese flying fox(just got em today and already see difference in my algae)

Apparently the Siamese ones are a relative of the oto and that was all they had in stock.I took a chance and bought 2 and its working out great!!Get along fine with all of my fish:).

Do you know the max size of the fish you just purchased?

Yes.the man told me the max size is about 2 1/2 inches.

You should always do your own research before making a purchase and for the most part don't take any sales persons info as truth. Max size for these fish are 6" putting you well overstocked with just these two fish.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/siamese.php

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...er-or-siamese-flying-fox-by-bearfan-5003.html

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1086&pcatid=1086

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/

You should always do your own research before making a purchase and for the most part don't take any sales persons info as truth. Max size for these fish are 6" putting you well overstocked with just these two fish.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/siamese.php

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/siamese-algae-eater-or-siamese-flying-fox-by-bearfan-5003.html

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1086&pcatid=1086

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/crossocheilus-langei/

Uh oh..........I did do research but not on this particular species:(.Since my tank is small will that stunt their growth?will they always grow to 6" or stop growing at a random time?I don't want to return these fish but if I have to I will.Right now they are a bit more than an inch.will they grow rapidly?
Thank you for informing me of the problem

Uh oh..........I did do research but not on this particular species:(.Since my tank is small will that stunt their growth?will they always grow to 6" or stop growing at a random time?I don't want to return these fish but if I have to I will.Right now they are a bit more than an inch.will they grow rapidly?
Thank you for informing me of the problem

No problem, I've run into this sort of issue myself, I have learned from experience if you go into a store looking for a specific fish and they don't have it, do not buy anything at all. I write fish names from that day and research them ferociously and go back to the store another day. It's disappointing to not get a fish you're looking for, but its far more disappointing to return a fish that you find out wont work in your tank.

I'm sure you could keep them for a while, but eventually being in a tank that is too small will cause harm. When doing my quick search to provide links to you even the smallest max size I found for them is 4-5" which would still be too much for your tank. If I were in your shoes I would return the fish to the store so you can get your money back, or you can keep them until they get the fish you want in stock but if you wait you may not get your money back

I just did some research and I realized that my flying foxes are actually true Siamese algae eaters!does this change anything?

The first link I posted tells you about the differences between true and false Siamese algae eaters, it also tells you that Siamese algae eater and Siamese flying fox are both common names for the same fish

I looked at the link and it said that the true Siamese algae eater is more suitable for a community aquarium because it is much less aggressive and better at cleaning algae.what I meant by saying it was a true sae is that it isn't a false one.it doesn't have the orange line and its black stripe goes all the way to its tail.

I wouldn't leave the SAEs in there! I have three which were initially in a 40 gallon tank. They eat everything on offer and seemed to get to about 4 inches in no time at all from very small.

Mine are in a bigger tank now as they are very active and would probably bother the fish in a tank too small!

Back
Top Bottom