Which algae eater for a 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
are you sure they said nerite snails? i think they're talking about regular ol' pond snails, which will take over your fish tank. it's more of a nuisance than damaging. people put pond snails into their tank and think it's cool but soon to regret it later, it happened to me as well when i started this hobby.

I've seen nerite explosions in brackish tanks and I think that's where people have bad experiences- in places where ph is naturally higher or those with brackish livebearer tanks that they have switched from fresh to brackish.

I love oto and other dwarf sucker cats for the glass and flat surfaces and crustaceans and inverts of all kinds!! They can be trouble with slower moving longfinned fish though and quite a few are too big and needy. Good starters IMO are true aquatic fiddlers crabs, red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp (awesomely cheap but do not handle shipping or transfer well at all), and mini crayfish.

I've seen nerite explosions in brackish tanks and I think that's where people have bad experiences- in places where ph is naturally higher or those with brackish livebearer tanks that they have switched from fresh to brackish.

I love oto and other dwarf sucker cats for the glass and flat surfaces and crustaceans and inverts of all kinds!! They can be trouble with slower moving longfinned fish though and quite a few are too big and needy. Good starters IMO are true aquatic fiddlers crabs, red cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp (awesomely cheap but do not handle shipping or transfer well at all), and mini crayfish.

Crayfish will eat live plants and can eat fish too.

Mystery snails r ok.
Even if they do lay eggs, it will have to be above the water surface so the eggs r easily removable.

If you get mystery snails they lay eggs out of the water! So if you don't want babies then you could remove the egg sack. It might sound strange but some people sell the egg sacks!

I'm actually trying out a couple of nerite snails for my 29 gallon tank, ordered from Bob's Tropical Plants - Home. They're supposedly one of the better algae eaters for freshwater because their eggs are nonviable in freshwater conditions.

I also have 2 mystery snails, and while they're awesome to watch they don't seem to make a huge dent in any algae in my tank. My gobies do a decent job, but I'm trying out these nerites to see if they'll get some of the areas the gobies don't seem to want to feed on.

Snails are way more entertaining aquarium pets than I figured on. I would consider trying them. Look up some google pics of the nerites if you're really concerned about getting the wrong one. They're about 1/2" to 1" adult size I believe.

If you get mystery snails they lay eggs out of the water! So if you don't want babies then you could remove the egg sack. It might sound strange but some people sell the egg sacks!

It is quite normal for people to sell egg clutches. Its like selling snails that didnt hatch yet. lol :) Each clutch has up to 1000 eggs. I can sell my pomacea maculata ( giant apple snail) egg clutches but I usually just hatch the babies and raise them.

It is quite normal for people to sell egg clutches. Its like selling snails that didnt hatch yet. lol :) Each clutch has up to 1000 eggs. I can sell my pomacea maculata ( giant apple snail) egg clutches but I usually just hatch the babies and raise them.

Do you have any mystery snails avail.?

Back
Top Bottom