Which Aquaclear filtration method to choose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to setup a 75gal FW tank. Never used Aquaclear filters before before. I have a few powerheads which work wonderfully.

Is it better to have 2 filters (Aqauclear 110 and 70 filters). Turn my water 800gph.

Or is it better to have 1 filter (Aquaclear 110) and 1 powerhead (Aquaclear 70 powerhead). Turn my water 900gph

The powerhead give out a lot of oxygen.
But the second filter help keep my water more clean.

Hard to choose.

If the 110 is enough filtration, it is all you need. If you run a 110 and 70, (if the 70 will fit over the trim of the 75) you will have more total filtration. If the powerhead has a foam filter on it, it will filter some, otherwise all it does is move water. Oxygen exchange occurs at the surface, so all those bubbles are more for show than for any real effect, other than providing some/more turbulence.

Oxygen exchange occurs at the surface, so all those bubbles are more for show than for any real effect, other than providing some/more turbulence.

for show only? it seems so realistic!

The bubbles aid in oxygenation by creating a turbulence which increases the surface area of the surface of the water, aiding in gas exchange. Very little of the air in the bubbles gets absorbed into the water. So, it helps but not in the way most people think.

I used to run two aquaclear 70's on my 55 gallon. I like one on each end. A canister filter like fluval for that size tank would be even better. I got an aquaclear 50 for my 29 gallon and I wish I had gone with a bigger filter. But I am running sponge filters as well so that makes up the difference biologically speaking.

Yeah, that's been discussed a few times. Many people seem to think the bubbles themselves are very beneficial... but what BillD said is correct. While the surface area of the bubble may allow some gas exchange, the majority is done on the surface when the bubbles break. And, you have to remember that you'renot putting in pure oxygen.... you're putting in air, which has o2, co2, and all kinds of other gasses in it... it's really no better than a spray bar on the surface, or a powerhead aimed up.

Back
Top Bottom