Which Corydoras Species?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I'm looking for a small cory species that will do well in a 30g planted tank. I plan to get maybe 5-7 corys, but I'd like them to hover around the 1.5-2 inches length. Thanks!

Jetstorm369 said:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a small cory species that will do well in a 30g planted tank. I plan to get maybe 5-7 corys, but I'd like them to hover around the 1.5-2 inches length. Thanks!

Love panda, skunk & Sterbai's!

I've Julii's as big as Sterbai's in one of my tanks, around 2.2 -2.6 inch, they can get very large. Corydoras Habrosus would be perfect for the tank, Pygmy's are a no - you wouldn't see them in a 30g planted tank, too small and liable to be eaten by bigger fish. You could easily do 7 in a 30g, max size 1.5 inch.

Attachments

• image-1784550625.jpg
    image-1784550625.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I have pandas in a planted 29 and false juliis in another planted 29 and both are doing very well and are quite active. Both are about a year old and maybe 1.5" long right now.

If you go with pandas, they prefer a slightly cooler tank temperature.

I got some hasbrosus and haven't really liked them so much. They seem delicate and are TINY! It is so difficult to clean the tank, they are difficult to see and don't move. If I had the choice to make again I would get a bigger cory that is still on the small side.

God Luck!

Imo if your looking for something no bigger than 1 1/2" at maturity then either corydoras panda or habrosus are your options unless you want extremely tiny like the hastatus. All the above mentioned like julii, sterbai and paleatus females can get to between 2-3" easily.
Pandas were my choice as i was looking to acquire the exact same as you! :)

Sterbai Cory's! I think they are pretty small IMO at least the ones in my 30g. They don't reach two inches. A little under two inches and I have 5 of them in my 30g

I had about 6 paleatus in my 30g long. The three survivors are now in my 75g and are a year or so old now. They're right around 2-2.5".

Hobgob said:
Sterbai Cory's! I think they are pretty small IMO at least the ones in my 30g. They don't reach two inches. A little under two inches and I have 5 of them in my 30g

They do reach two inches plus, unless they are stunted.

These are corydoras similis. I have 5 of them and they only get to be about 2 inches. Not quite as large as some corys.

Attachments

• Corydoras similis.jpg
    Corydoras similis.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 68
My biggest fish is a farlowella catfish and an albino BN, after that sits my pristella tetras I'm a community guy.

And the species corydoras paleatus which is my favorite does top about 2.5" but is a gorgeous cory. I know it's a little bigger than you wanted but something to consider.

I have 5 different species in my 220g and for size Panda's would be perfect and I have to say of all my Cory's the Panda's are the most active, constantly moving and active.

Back
Top Bottom