Which filter, lights, etc. should I get for 40 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so after all my posts, I think I am going to end up going with the 40 gal breeder. I need to just go out and but it finally or else I will keep on researching and pondering it forever. So anyways, I thought I'd come here for recommendations on the rest of the equipment.
First off, what substrate? I was wanting a black gravel or similar, but plan to have some plants in there, so am I better off getting something like black eco-complete or similar?
For lights, I know the standard light that would come with this is only 20 or 25 watts so that won't be sufficient. I was thinking of T5's, but I don't want to deal with CO2, as I plan to just get some nice easy maintenance plants and can't afford to spend hundreds on lights. Would one double T5 fixture at 42 watts (2-21 watt bulbs) be enough, or can I go with two of those at 84 watts and still be ok without CO2? I am building a canopy, so if I can just buy T5 shop light fixtures from the hardware store for $30 a piece, that seems like it would be the cheapest. They come with bulbs too, but I imagine I would probably need a different type of bulb.
And for filters, is a HOB or canister better? I have read that canisters are usually better for plants. If that is true, I don't mind spending around $100 on one, but can't go spending more than $150 on up.
And finally, for a heater, is 200w sufficient?
Thanks in advance for any recommendations you guys make. Feel free to recommend some easy care plants as well if you want.

I use 14 watt compact flurecent bulbs for my tank they give off lots of light and are great for plants. A 200 watt is probably effeciant heater. As for subtrate a color that will bring out the colors of your fish nicely would be great, dark is better because if it's light fish seem to try and camoflage with the gravel and will appear pale and ugly.

P.S. sorry about the spelling :D

Yeah I definitely want a black substrate. But do you just have regular gravel, or do you have something like eco-complete or other plant substrate? I am trying to see what will work best.

For filters, yes, canister filter will be definitely better for you. I'd suggest either Rena Filstar XP3 or Eheim 2217. Either of them will give you plenty of filtration capacity for your future needs. I'm personally a Eheim user myself. :)

I have had good luck with just plain black sand for a substrate of course I have to use root tabs for heavy root feeders.

Hmmm, I never thought of about using sand. Is that harder to maintain than gravel? I might have to do a little research on it.

A dark colored sand is much easier to maintain than a white sand. I always get algae in my white sand. You can't really vacuum it like you can gravel, but I don't think it is hard to keep clean. One thing you need to watch for is aerobic pockets, MTS will burrow down and you won't have to worry about them or if you don't like snails take something like an end of a fish net to release the gases. If you are on a tight budget you might want to check out mineralized soil for your tank, I haven't tried it.

If you keep your sand to 1-2 inches, you are ok against aerobic pocket buildups. I personally like sand more than gravels and they are easy to maintain.

During water changes, I deliberately shake up water inside the tank and the filters take care of small particles. Larger ones are easy to suck up using Syphon.

Oh and one of these days, I am going to try out the black version of 3M ColorQuartz.

Back
Top Bottom