Which fish to stock 1st?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyMamma

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all.

Currently in the process of setting up a fishless cycle of a 55 gal. sanded, planted tank. Planning on the following stock list, but ALL of them are mentioned as sensitive enough to NOT be introduced to a "new" tank. Any recommendations as to the order i should use?

9 Albino Cories
12 Neon Tetras
12 Rummy-nosed Tetras
1 Koi Anglefish (thought I'd introduce last so the neons could get bigger and to reduce aggression.)

If not an angelfish, then an Opaline Guarmi.

Thoughts?:flowers:

I would start with half the cories and half the tetras. If things go okay. Add the other halves a week later and monitor for ammonia. Last would be the angel. But maybe wait a few weeks-months to be sure everything is stable.
Good luck!

One of the benefits of doing a fishless cycle is that you end up with a biofilter built like a freight train - after a fishless cycle is completed, you theoretically would be able to fully stock your tank at once without any repercussions in terms of parameter spikes. For territorial reasons, it probably wouldn't be best to throw everything in at once, but you could easily stock 50% of what you're planning on right after you finish your cycle. After a week or so, you could stock everything else except the angel. You could easily add the angel in later - in a 55g, one angel will not make a huge difference in bioload.

And, FWIW, you could probably stock more than you're planning on IMO. I think you could comfortably up the tetra schools to 16 apiece and the cory shoal to 12. You may even have room for a pair of angels instead of just one.

Last edited:
Definitely the angel last... Try and put most aggressive fish in last. If yoy put them in first they have their territory and will sometimes go after new arrivals

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, folks!

You're right, Bud, I *could* do bigger schools. Hmmmm, definitely thinking about it! <grins>

Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Back
Top Bottom