Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Which hydrogen peroxide to buy for killing algae?

Can I just get any random one or do I need a certain concentration? Most of the ones I see are 3%. If I can use that then what is the ideal ratio of water to h202

Meese

Old 12-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just regular hydrogen peroxide will do. Don't over do it because too much can harm the plants and fish. Also, another thing to know is that peroxide naturally breaks down when in water, and in light. So turn your tank light off and don't dilute the peroxide for maximum effect

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 12-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsAquarium View Post
Just regular hydrogen peroxide will do. Don't over do it because too much can harm the plants and fish. Also, another thing to know is that peroxide naturally breaks down when in water, and in light. So turn your tank light off and don't dilute the peroxide for maximum effect

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So just any h202 I find at the pharmacy or store?

Meese
Old 12-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese-a-mew View Post
So just any h202 I find at the pharmacy or store?
Yes, buy it at a place that has good turnover (like not a place where all the bottles are dusty and look like they've been there for years). It has a relatively short shelf life (compared to most chemicals). And store the remainder in a tightly sealed bottle in a dark, cool place.

It degrades into water and O2, so it does not "spoil", it just turns slowly into a more and more dilute form.

I apply mine with a turkey syringe with a bit of hard tubing on the end, this lets you shoot it on the algae without getting hands (etc) nearby to disturb the water and make it more dilute. And filter off for a few minutes before, and maybe 15-30 minutes afterwards.

While you shouldn't over do on any one treatment, the nice thing about it is that it has zero buildup in the tank, so each day you can do it again and not worry about some residual toxin building up.

Tags
algae, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com