Which hydrogen peroxide to buy for killing algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meese-a-mew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can I just get any random one or do I need a certain concentration? Most of the ones I see are 3%. If I can use that then what is the ideal ratio of water to h202

Meese

Just regular hydrogen peroxide will do. Don't over do it because too much can harm the plants and fish. Also, another thing to know is that peroxide naturally breaks down when in water, and in light. So turn your tank light off and don't dilute the peroxide for maximum effect

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just regular hydrogen peroxide will do. Don't over do it because too much can harm the plants and fish. Also, another thing to know is that peroxide naturally breaks down when in water, and in light. So turn your tank light off and don't dilute the peroxide for maximum effect

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So just any h202 I find at the pharmacy or store?

Meese

So just any h202 I find at the pharmacy or store?

Yes, buy it at a place that has good turnover (like not a place where all the bottles are dusty and look like they've been there for years). It has a relatively short shelf life (compared to most chemicals). And store the remainder in a tightly sealed bottle in a dark, cool place.

It degrades into water and O2, so it does not "spoil", it just turns slowly into a more and more dilute form.

I apply mine with a turkey syringe with a bit of hard tubing on the end, this lets you shoot it on the algae without getting hands (etc) nearby to disturb the water and make it more dilute. And filter off for a few minutes before, and maybe 15-30 minutes afterwards.

While you shouldn't over do on any one treatment, the nice thing about it is that it has zero buildup in the tank, so each day you can do it again and not worry about some residual toxin building up.

Back
Top Bottom