Which manufacturers have the best reputation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merchgod

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Now that I'm getting into fish, are there any manufacturers of the maintenance/accessory stuff (test kits, food, water conditioners, etc) that are considered by everyone to be of best quality and best value? That is, what are the few companies that you really can't go wrong with any of their products? Do any of you exclusively use one company for these items?

It really depends on what you are buying. I stick with Hagen/Fluval for filters, Coralife or Current for my light fixtures, Visi-Therm for heating, and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits for best value. I'm sure there are better brands, but I have had good luck with the performance and cost of all these. Everyone is gonna have a different opinion. I wouldn't say that anyone should stick with any one brand for all their supplies.

I really like the Aquarium Pharmaceutical liquid test kits. They're easy to use and read, reasonably accurate, and not too expensive.

For food, I buy Ocean Nutrition and Hikari. I win alot of Wardley foods in raffles, and the fish seem to like them just as much too. I think variety is more important than brand where food is concerned. Have a variety of fish-based and veggie-based foods, and try to switch every day between dry foods (flake, crumble, pellet, wafer), live food, frozen foods, and fresh veggies.

I like Tetra Aquasafe, but I've used other brand declorinators just as well.

Lee Aquarium Products, Hagen, and Aquarium Pharmaceuticals make reasonably priced, high quality accessories (isolator tanks, air pump stuff, nets, algae scrapers, etc).

Besides the AP test kit and Visi-Therm Stealth Heaters, I am a big fan of Prime as a dechlorinator. It lasts a long time when you change a large volume of water several times a week.

Back
Top Bottom