Which meds do I need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I ordered the following meds: Pimafix, Melafix, ParaGuard, Kanaplex, Metroplex, Focus, GarlicGuard, General Cure, Erythromycin, Rid-Ich Plus, and Aquarium Salt. Out of all these, which ones are good and which ones do I not really need and which ones are duplicates or overlap?

You really dont need most of that.
General cure for quarantine
Furan 2
Kanaplex
I like kordon rid ich
The melafix and Pima fix are utterly useless. No wonder your mom pulled a nutty, that's a Lotta dough ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You really dont need most of that.
General cure for quarantine
Furan 2
Kanaplex
I like kordon rid ich
The melafix and Pima fix are utterly useless. No wonder your mom pulled a nutty, that's a Lotta dough ;)

I don't quarantine.

Either way..

I would strongly suggest to quarantine first. Anything made by Seachem is a really good product, so I would include Parguard on the keep list. I always have that on me.

I would strongly suggest to quarantine first. Anything made by Seachem is a really good product, so I would include Parguard on the keep list. I always have that on me.

I would quarantine if I had the space to put another tank or tote, but I don't.

I do not medicate any fish. Not a popular stance but I just dont. Never have.

I read that ParaGuard treats many of the same external parasites as other meds do so if I keep just ParaGuard and maybe Rid-Ich Plus on hand, will that be enough/all I need? Also, what medicine(s) should I get to treat internal parasites?

Columnaris is the real.bad one that can wipe a tank fast, if you're going to stock up than the Furan 2 and kanaplex should be in. You can get medicated food for the internal parasites. Peabodysparadise has it and nls makes one too.

I like PraziPro. If you have medicated food, you don't need it.

I'm of the "I'll buy it if I need it," philosophy. We have Amazon prime, so whatever we order will get to us in two days if local places don't have it.

All medications are condition specific.

You're lucky.

There are a lot of conditions you can cure without medication, but not all. Unless you euthanize instead of treat, pathogens like columnaris don't go away with clean water.

If I cant fix it with wc, salt bath, or raise temp. I figure it probably lived better life in my tank than elsewhere (store/wild).

Why you feel you need meds?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Why you feel you need meds?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Allow me.. because fish get sick and need treatment, same as humans and dogs and cats..

If I cant fix it with wc, salt bath, or raise temp. I figure it probably lived better life in my tank than elsewhere (store/wild).
(y)(y)
30 + years and more then a few tanks has me in 99% agreement on this!:whistle:
I am sure just last year my list might have been much like others above adding Levamisole which I have . Not as much for treatment but extermination if ever needed.
I use rid ich or potassium permanganate not heat or salt but after that if water changes don't work we can talk about euthanasia techniques again...:eek:

Wow im shocked. I expected you to jump on me like a rabid dog lol. Its not about not caring. Its about overall health of your tanks. The percentage of success rates, costs, and the fact that virtually all the common meds cause stress themselves. People often will spend 25 bucks to treat a guppy but have no problem smashing pond snails against the glass lol. I just try to buy healthy stock, stock light, and keep pristine water. Fish die it happens. Often were never 100 percent sure whats wrong with fish.

There are two different types of people who say you don't need to use meds: people who think water changes fix everything and people who immediately euthanize sick fish. Having just been through columnaris, I find the former insufferable. Were it to happen again, I would start from scratch unless I had a fish that was particularly expensive or difficult to obtain.

I'm not at a point where I would euthanize without attempting isolation and treatment, but I understand the perspective.

There are two different types of people who say you don't need to use meds: people who think water changes fix everything and people who immediately euthanize sick fish. Having just been through columnaris, I find the former insufferable. Were it to happen again, I would start from scratch unless I had a fish that was particularly expensive or difficult to obtain.

I'm not at a point where I would euthanize without attempting isolation and treatment, but I understand the perspective.
Im a weirdo. Im both those types. Lol
Honestly, not that anyone will get this. Growing up and still working a small farm. Sickness and death is easier to swallow. 5 combat tours help too lol

I was just responding to op's question. I've medicated fish, I've also pulled, put down and flushed.. this may sound bad to some.. if a $2, easily obtained fish in my display is looking gnarly he's out with the quickness. If a pricey cichlid of mine is looking under the weather I'm throwing meds at it. Doesn't always work but I'm pretty confident I've saved a few with treatment.

Back
Top Bottom