Which pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can't decide between pit bull or bristle nose (reg not albino). I have two 55 gal that both need a bottom dweller so maybe I could get both, but I would like to hear some opinions. If you have ever read any of my other posts you would know i am reeeeeeaaaaalllly indecisive.

I won't be any help- I gave both (though my BN are albino). Bothe are very neat and have "personality".

skiweeangel said:
Can't decide between pit bull or bristle nose (reg not albino). I have two 55 gal that both need a bottom dweller so maybe I could get both, but I would like to hear some opinions. If you have ever read any of my other posts you would know i am reeeeeeaaaaalllly indecisive.

Neither! Go with a Gold Nugget Pleco :)

Well what tankmates?

I have an oscar, and both of those types would get eaten up at some point if they stayed at 6" marks.

Both of them will work in a 55g size-wise.

Gold nuggets are amazing :D

Ooohhh I like both of those but I'm afraid it comes down to price.

Tank mates (both 55gal)
Tank one:
Gold long finned danios
Tiger barbs
Blue gouramis (possibly)

Tank two:
Gold long finned danios
Head and tail light tetras
Another schooling peaceful fish

BN are generally hardier fish than pit bull pleco's, been tank-bred for so many generations they're pretty well domesticated now.

steez said:
Well what tankmates?

I have an oscar, and both of those types would get eaten up at some point if they stayed at 6" marks.

Both of them will work in a 55g size-wise.

Gold nuggets are amazing :D

Well price wise if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg I would say BN pleco. Btw I have an Oscar and a BN pleco in with him and he's under 6 inches and does just fine! Must depend on personality of Oscar! But aren't Bn's considered an armored catfish? and they have horns so it wouldn't be good if he ever ate him!

How old is your oscar? I was told a BN will never work because at some point the oscar will eat him. :p

He's about 5 yrs old and 11 inches long! He's never messed with my BN! If he does it might be the last meal he eats! Because I'm not so sure with the horns and armor on the BN if he could swallow it! That would be a nightmare!! But he's a very laid back TO and only acts aggressive with his own reflection, lol!

The Pit Bulls are small and need to be kept in groups, plus they require a sand only substrate because when they are nervous/frightened they will dig under the sand to hide. If you have any aggressive fish in your tank the Pitbull Pleco will spend most of their time under the sand.
The Gold Nuggets are beautiful but not real hardy. Plus they come different sizes, the L018 grows to be 14" long, the L177 is 8" long and then the L081 & L085 are 7" long. Unless your FS sells them by their name and their number it's very difficult to tell the difference.
The BN Pleco gives you a few choices, not just the Reg. brown or Albino.
I have one reg. Brown BN, he's a work horse. I also have 2 Green Dragon BN Plecos. They are very cool and cute, a nice addition to any tank. I also have 3 Long Fin Albino BN Plecos in my Angelfish tank. They are extremely elegant and fit in nicely with the Angels.
Here are a few pics. of what each of them look like. The Green Dragon and the first long Fins are mine and they are about 6 months old. I don't have a picture of my brown BN, he's camera shy & very fast. And I have yet to get a pic of my Long fin Albino at full length, so I added the second 2 pics. so you could see them next to each other.
You can get the Long Fins BN in Brown, Albino or Calico/Tricolored , so there are 3 more choices.
As far as price goes, none of them cost very much. My Green dragon's were only $8.99 a piece and the Long Fins were $12.99 each. Not much for a cool Pleco that works really well in a 55g tank.
This was meant to give you information to help you decide which Plecos you would like to get, so I hope it doesn't add to your indecision.

Attachments

• Green Dragon Bristlenose Plecostamus-Dynaries.jpg
    Green Dragon Bristlenose Plecostamus-Dynaries.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Long Fin Albino Bushynose Pleco 9 13 2011.jpg
    Long Fin Albino Bushynose Pleco 9 13 2011.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 128
  • Long Fin Albino BN Pleco.jpg
    Long Fin Albino BN Pleco.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 355
  • Bristlenose Pleco-male.jpg
    Bristlenose Pleco-male.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,816
WendiDell thanks for all the info! I like that the pit bulls stay small and one of my two tanks has a rather deep sand bed, but it also has tiger barbs in it. Do you think they would pester it too much? That tank is will be a semi-aggressive fast moving tank, so I might never see the little guy if it stays in the sand all the time. I think my second choice for both tanks would be the green BN. how big do they get? I can't see the post right now so I'm going to reread it. So much info and my brain is shot from school right now.

Thanks sooooo much!

Get one of these little buggers L333 KING TIGER or red eye royal they get quite large and can usually home well with large aggressive fish

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110922_220621.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110922_220621.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20110922_220635.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110922_220635.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 96
Greenphantom said:
Get one of these little buggers L333 KING TIGER or red eye royal they get quite large and can usually home well with large aggressive fish

Oh that's a beauty!!! How much you pick him up for? What's the max size of that species?

That L-333 is a juvie, the pattern becomes much more complex as they grow. Max size is around 4", but they are nocturnal fish. Given good cover they're seldom seen by day, same with any Hypancistrus species. Worthless for algae, but not a bad general scavenger for leftover food.

Greenphantom said:

He is very beautiful! And ditto in the above post. Size price.

WendiDell thanks for all the info! I like that the pit bulls stay small and one of my two tanks has a rather deep sand bed, but it also has tiger barbs in it. Do you think they would pester it too much? That tank is will be a semi-aggressive fast moving tank, so I might never see the little guy if it stays in the sand all the time. I think my second choice for both tanks would be the green BN. how big do they get? I can't see the post right now so I'm going to reread it. So much info and my brain is shot from school right now.

Thanks sooooo much!
Your quite welcome.
I've never owned a Pitbull Pleco, but from the research I've been doing on Pleco's, there is a good chance you won't get to see them to often.
If it's the bushy face on the BN Plecos that you don't care for, it's easily fixed. The female BN doesn't have all that stuff on their faces. Our little female Green Dragon, Dynaries doesn't have any at all. She's really cute, and she's in a tank with a bunch of aggressive African Cichlids. She comes out during the day and they never bother her. But the Africans do love to steal the Plecos algae wafers, so I have to sneak them into the tank every few days when the Cichlids aren't paying attention.

But the Africans do love to steal the Plecos algae wafers, so I have to sneak them into the tank every few days when the Cichlids aren't paying attention.
:ermm: Tap on the glass and yell "BLOODWORMS"? :lol:

:ermm: Tap on the glass and yell "BLOODWORMS"? :lol:

My Mbunas have never had Blood worms, because blood worms can kill them.
So yelling blood worms wouldn't mean a thing to them.
When they steal the wafer's it's like a rugby match. First they steal it from the Plecos and then they pull it out of each other's mouth. This goes on for about 10 min., until it's small enough for one of them to swallow whole. It's kind of funny to watch.

Back
Top Bottom