Which pleco to go with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SerLunchbox

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in the next week or so, i will have the funds to go out and get a new pleco. Currently i believe i have a common pleco (5 1/2") for my algae eating bottom feeders. As of now, he is starting to eat my plants and leave a small amount of Algae behind (my ameca splendins are cleaning up what he is leaving behind). So now i am going to give him to a friend who has a 120 gal tank that will allow him to grow more and be a bit more happy. So here is what i am wondering. I am going to get a new pleco but i am not sure which one to really go with. I can't get one that is going to outgrow my 50 gallon aquarium so that is why i was thinking of going with either a gold nugget or bristlenose pleco. I am not sure which one i want to go with. If they both perform extremely well with algae then i know which one i would prefer to go with. Here are the other stuff to go with my tank:

pH 7.5-7.6
GH 11.5
KH 9.5
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 3ppm
Ehiem 2213 cannister Filter
Penguin 170 HOB bio-wheel filter

50 US gallon aquarium housing:
2 adult and 3 juvenile angels
1 common pleco 5 1/2" (soon to be going)
3 adult and 5 juvenive ameca plendins
1 striped rafael catfish
3 celebes rainbow
3 adult botia modesta (apx 4" long each)

I have lots of wood and plants for all the fish to hide out in. If there are any other plecos i should consider then please let me know ... any info would be awesome!

TIA

Cheers

I would go with Royal Pleco-10 inches long- great on algea, It should do ok in those water parameters...as far as i know...

Dan :)

Ok :) I have my favorite too.

BullDog Rubbernose Pleco!!

They are smaller and they are pretty darn cool too!

I have had one in my 29 gallon for 3 years and hes only 3 inches long basically hes grown about 1/4 of an inch or so. He watches me and is very active as far as mvoing around the tank and getting the algae up. I have not had any algae of any kind in 3 years.

I would check out the profiles on Planet Catfish before you buy.

As for my favorites ...Any of the dwarf ancistrus - they are hardworking algae eaters. I also like bristle nosed plecs for their hideous looks! :lol:

Rubbernose can usually be found for $5-6 at your local petsmart so that makes them attractive and they don't look half bad. I have a clown pleco in one of my tanks but he has 0 activity during the day, he never moves and what he eats is a mystery because i've never seen him do that either but he's cute and is also pretty inexpensive.

Depending on how much you want to spend on a pleco, you could try a Zebra (L-46) Pleco. They grow to be about 3 inches and they are very nice looking. Then again, he will run you about $200. The Gold Nugget will grow to be about 6 inches. For about the same price as the Gold Nugget you could get a Net Pleco and they only grow to about 4 1/2 inches. Try this website, they have several Pleco's to look at.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=20&pCatId=837&TopCatId=837

Your have so many options with a 50 gal tank. I have leopards, tigers, pitbulls, bulldogs, bristlenosed, clowns and orange spotted ancistrus. All of which will stay under 6inchs. I agree you should take time to browse planetcatfish.com. Find a few you like, then check with your lfs to see what they can get for you.

Back
Top Bottom