which plecos eat wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been reading up on this because I have driftwood in my aquarium, and I would't like to have to replace it regularly if I bought a Pleco. I know a couple of types DO eat driftwood, but I would most likely just get a Common Pleco. So if anyone has heard anything about their wood eating habits, then let me know. Thanks.

i don't know which types need wood, but i have heard that some need to rasp on wood to aid digestion. i had a pleco die in my aquarium, and when i bought a second pleco i added driftwood to the tank, and this one has been thriving. but it could be a coincidence.

i wouldn't expect that any pleco would eat so much wood as to ruin your big pieces of driftwood. i have just a little piece of wood in my tank, and i see him on it a lot; however, i haven't noticed any real changes in its appearance or size. think they just graze on it.

I've only had a pleco and driftwood for about 2 months now, but I think fearlessfisch is right. I don't think a pleco would "eat" the whole piece of wood. They just rasp on it. The African driftwood description on DrsFosterSmith says it's several hundred years old, so I think it would last several years in your tank. I don't think you have to worry about replacing it regularly.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=10686&inm=1&N=2004+113714+113565

yes clown plecos "eat" wood ..but like An T-iasg said, you wont need to worry about replacing wood for a very long time.

yeah ... The gold striped panaque (most panaques) eat wood first ... but they always will devour veggies and algae.

Thanks for the information. At the moment I have a 10 gallon with no inhabitants that is being treated for Ich and cycled, but the LFS has common Plecos that are no bigger than 2" which I will probably buy. I also plan on having a 55 or a 75 within a year or two to move him into when he grows larger.

I have a bristlenose, sailfin, and clown pleco. All of them llike to rasp. I've seen my farlowella acus munchin' on it too. :mrgreen:

most likely the common pleco is the suckermouth catfish. another thing about plecos being on driftwood is that algae grows real good on it, so a suckerfish would naturally be attracted to it.

Mine is a Sailfin, @ 10".. All plecos need wood from what I understand, the acid in the wood is necessary for proper digestion..

Panaques, such as a Royal or Maccus (Clown) rasp heavily at the wood, they have small "teeth" that will file away at the wood, putting a heavy wood like malaysian or mopani will be better, as long as the driftwood you add is a relatively hardwood, they shouldn't make too much a mess of it.. but softwoods, they carve up the entire piece in less then a week..

Also, Panaques are a no no with acrylic tanks, they will rasp the finish off the inside of the tank and make the visibility = to a rubbermaid tub...

Rubber and Bristlenose are touted as being the best 2 that stay small, a "Common" pleco will reach up to 18", so be very careful, or make sure you have a swimming pool for him when it get's bigger..

The above 2 are also very good for algae, while sailfins and the larger plecos tend to not make such a huge dent in the algae, it may just be more inconvenient..

As much as I'ld love to chop the plecs fins off so he stops uprooting everything, <JJ> They are very elegant when swimming, and tend to add that whole "Look at that Monster" thing to the tank.

My 55 gallon was full of algae before I got my sailfin. He had it totally clean in less than a week, and he's kept it clean since. Maybe I just got a weird one... 8)

Oh, I see. Mine is about 7 inches, so it is nowhere near full grown. They are sweet fish, and tough as nails. My sailfin pushes my 7 inch severum off of the algae wafers I throw in there. :twisted:

Mine sticks to the gravel, it will clean a bit of the gravel, but when it's sucking on the glass it's not moving, so it's doubtful it's cleaning the glass, the CAE's and Clown Loaches are keeping the decor clean.. except for the top of a piece of wood, they won't go near it :?

Mine has taken control of the shrimp pellets and rarely goes for the wafers anymore, he eats the shrimp pellets, then if there is nothing left he'll consider the wafers, if the cories and CAE haven't eaten them.. Perhaps when I set up a 125 for them, I'll put in moon lighting to see what he's doin after lights out :twisted:

Back
Top Bottom