Which Puffer do I want

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Going to get a puffer for my 20 gallon tank. I am doing low maintance because of my work schedule. Just trying to decide which one I want.
I really want something extremely active and intelligent. It doesnt necessarily have to be personable to me just not swimming aimlessly for hours.

I am stuck between a f8 with a waspfish or dwarf (pea) puffers with cories and ottos. Which is better? I am open to other species as well but only freshwater. If I do brackish it will be the f8.

So tell me which you think and why! Thanks and God bless!

Maintenance is measured differently from one person to another (i.e. me cleaning canister filters is PIMA during weekly water changes and will always stay away from them while others love their canisters).

Low maintenance can mean a lot of things. If I'm understanding of your context (work schedule reducing the amount of time you can give to your tank), then you want to stay away from brackish water. It involves premixing the water (at your water mixing station) prior to the 50% water changes and topping off the water everyday to maintain stable SG.

With freshwater tanks, you usually do not have to deal with water level and premixing (less time involved according to your context).

Maintenance is measured differently from one person to another (i.e. me cleaning canister filters is PIMA during weekly water changes and will always stay away from them while others love their canisters).

Low maintenance can mean a lot of things. If I'm understanding of your context (work schedule reducing the amount of time you can give to your tank), then you want to stay away from brackish water. It involves premixing the water (at your water mixing station) prior to the 50% water changes and topping off the water everyday to maintain stable SG.

With freshwater tanks, you usually do not have to deal with water level and premixing (less time involved according to your context).

I thought sg swings were ok for brackish water.... maybe that is a sign I should avoid it lol

Swings greater than 0.002 SG can kill your benificial bacteria. Captive fish do better in stable water conditions.

Back
Top Bottom