Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Which Rasboras are these

Was sold to me as Mosquitos. I've googled them and there are photos that don't match
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1982196523.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	184675  

Old 07-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MareeHood View Post
Was sold to me as Mosquitos. I've googled them and there are photos that don't match
They look exactly like my chili rasboras. I've heard them called mosquito rasboras and they take a few days to color up. Mine are really bright red now.

Google
Boraras brigittae

20 gal tall:currently cycling, soon to be re-aquascaped
Meashkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

One of mine, they look like they have the same dark markings as yours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2582129077.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	184676

Old 07-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #4

These are only bout 1.5cms at most. So they colour up when adult? They are actually a little pink at the moment. They didn't have any colour in shop
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
These are only bout 1.5cms at most. So they colour up when adult? They are actually a little pink at the moment. They didn't have any colour in shop
They may have recently arrived at the shop and didn't gain color because of the stress of shipping??? They get to be about 2 cm and the males will get brighter. My females are red too, just not quite as bright. I noticed they really brightened when I started adding baby brine shrimp to their diet.

Mine looked pale for a couples of days too.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 AM   #6

They were in pet shop for over a month. They had them in a tank in the store room out back. Found they couldn't put them in their normal tanks in shop due to size.
No plants in there tank, and almost over crowded with guppies and platties. I'm guessing the rasboras didn't like that.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
They were in pet shop for over a month. They had them in a tank in the store room out back. Found they couldn't put them in their normal tanks in shop due to size.
No plants in there tank, and almost over crowded with guppies and platties. I'm guessing the rasboras didn't like that.
They couldn't put them in a normal tank because they are small?

They could have been stressed. They like planted tanks and to be able to hide in and out of my driftwood holes.

I'd give them a special brine shrimp snack and see if they color up in a few days.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #8

Yeah because they are very small. They are know in a planted tank, with things they can swim through or hide out in. Much happier

Thanks heaps
Old 07-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Looks more like Boraras merah to me. There seems to be a bit of confusion on the application of common names to species in this genus. Chili/mosquito rasbora seems to be applied to bth B. merah (which is the one you appear to have) and B. brigittae (which is the one Meashkah seems to have). That would account for the difference in the intensity of red coloration. Do an image search on the two species to see what I mean.

Tony
Old 07-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Apparently the two species are often confused in the trade (and some of the images online are also misidentified). There's more information here: Boraras - marvels in miniature | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

Tony
Old 07-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gill View Post
Looks more like Boraras merah to me. There seems to be a bit of confusion on the application of common names to species in this genus. Chili/mosquito rasbora seems to be applied to bth B. merah (which is the one you appear to have) and B. brigittae (which is the one Meashkah seems to have). That would account for the difference in the intensity of red coloration. Do an image search on the two species to see what I mean.

Tony

Oooooh, I think Tony is right! If they don't color up, I would say that you do have the Boraras Merah species. I know that mine did take a little bit of time to color up, but maybe only a couple of days.

Thanks Tony!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com