Which Rasboras are these

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MareeHood

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was sold to me as Mosquitos. I've googled them and there are photos that don't match

Attachments

• image-1982196523.jpg
    image-1982196523.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 152
Was sold to me as Mosquitos. I've googled them and there are photos that don't match

They look exactly like my chili rasboras. I've heard them called mosquito rasboras and they take a few days to color up. Mine are really bright red now.

Google
Boraras brigittae

One of mine, they look like they have the same dark markings as yours.

image-2582129077.jpg

These are only bout 1.5cms at most. So they colour up when adult? They are actually a little pink at the moment. They didn't have any colour in shop

These are only bout 1.5cms at most. So they colour up when adult? They are actually a little pink at the moment. They didn't have any colour in shop

They may have recently arrived at the shop and didn't gain color because of the stress of shipping??? They get to be about 2 cm and the males will get brighter. My females are red too, just not quite as bright. I noticed they really brightened when I started adding baby brine shrimp to their diet.

Mine looked pale for a couples of days too.

They were in pet shop for over a month. They had them in a tank in the store room out back. Found they couldn't put them in their normal tanks in shop due to size.
No plants in there tank, and almost over crowded with guppies and platties. I'm guessing the rasboras didn't like that.

They were in pet shop for over a month. They had them in a tank in the store room out back. Found they couldn't put them in their normal tanks in shop due to size.
No plants in there tank, and almost over crowded with guppies and platties. I'm guessing the rasboras didn't like that.

They couldn't put them in a normal tank because they are small?

They could have been stressed. They like planted tanks and to be able to hide in and out of my driftwood holes.

I'd give them a special brine shrimp snack and see if they color up in a few days. ;)

Yeah because they are very small. They are know in a planted tank, with things they can swim through or hide out in. Much happier

Thanks heaps

Looks more like Boraras merah to me. There seems to be a bit of confusion on the application of common names to species in this genus. Chili/mosquito rasbora seems to be applied to bth B. merah (which is the one you appear to have) and B. brigittae (which is the one Meashkah seems to have). That would account for the difference in the intensity of red coloration. Do an image search on the two species to see what I mean.

Tony

Looks more like Boraras merah to me. There seems to be a bit of confusion on the application of common names to species in this genus. Chili/mosquito rasbora seems to be applied to bth B. merah (which is the one you appear to have) and B. brigittae (which is the one Meashkah seems to have). That would account for the difference in the intensity of red coloration. Do an image search on the two species to see what I mean.

Tony

Oooooh, I think Tony is right! If they don't color up, I would say that you do have the Boraras Merah species. I know that mine did take a little bit of time to color up, but maybe only a couple of days.

Thanks Tony!

Back
Top Bottom