Which single fish for 27 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like the idea of an American Cichlid. (not a dwarf)
Which American Cichlids grow 7inches or smaller, that are quite pretty and interactive?
I know of:

- Convict (females look beautiful)
- Albino Convict
- Firemouth (a bit bland with colour)
- Thorichthys ellioti (more colourful version of firemouth)
- Salvini (maybe just fits with size)
- Rainbow cichlid (not my ideal type of fish)

Is that all my options for American cichlids that grow 7 inches or less?

I know you said 1 fish, but I think a pair of kissing gouramis would be really cool

My favorite single fish tanks are my paradise fish and my figure 8 puffer. Keep in mind figure 8's are brackish water. My paradise fish does a little trick for me. I dangle a piece of thawed bloodworm from a chopstick about 2 inches above the water. He will jump well out of the water and snatch the worm. Of course I keep the tank well covered since I occasionally encourage this behavior. Paradise fish are very personable and very pretty.

Kissing gouramis get way to big for this particular tank, though I do agree that they are a very cool looking fish.
I figured that they got to big, but I was looking it up and most people were saying the minimum recommended tank size was 30 gallons. So if he was only going to have one or two, I figured I would throw out the option.

I'll try post pics, in my album, of my fishless tank soon. (still cycling)
To give you guys an idea of the setup.

Im still leaning towards single female convict, and a bristlenose.

Pics are up in my album.
I tried to upload one pic here too....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 79
Im looking for a single fish to keep in my 27 gallon tank. I feel its more personal to keep 1 fish as a pet, in this tank (I might throw a bristlenose in there maybe)

Which fish is very interactive, and would fit in this size tank? Something interesting. Its a small tank, I know....
I don't like bettas, and rams.

You could always get a species of puffer my friend has one that's 6 inches long and follows your fingers along the glass :)

You could always get a species of puffer my friend has one that's 6 inches long and follows your fingers along the glass :)

Do you know which puffer it was so I can google it?

That's a nice looking tank.

Thanks, I put it together slowly slowly. Buying each piece at a time. I tried to buy the best equipment for it. No cheap brands or anything.
Im quite happy with the outcome. Looks very modern and pleasant to the eyes.

Do you know which puffer it was so I can google it?

Thanks, I put it together slowly slowly. Buying each piece at a time. I tried to buy the best equipment for it. No cheap brands or anything.
Im quite happy with the outcome. Looks very modern and pleasant to the eyes.

The puffer my friend has is a Palembang Puffer also known as a humpback puffer it's beautiful he has had it two years and its fully grown at eight inches. You could also get the pig nose puffer also known as the Mekong puffer instead as this only grows to 6 inches but it isn't very beautiful like the Palembang. But if your looking for beauty then you could get a small group of red tailed red eye puffers these grow to just under 2 inches and they are recommended to be kept in groups but the on
Y downside is that they can be quite nippy to longfinned fish so keeping them in a group should control that. I have heard they don't nipped short finned fish like danios and barbs.

The puffer my friend has is a Palembang Puffer also known as a humpback puffer it's beautiful he has had it two years and its fully grown at eight inches. You could also get the pig nose puffer also known as the Mekong puffer instead as this only grows to 6 inches but it isn't very beautiful like the Palembang. But if your looking for beauty then you could get a small group of red tailed red eye puffers these grow to just under 2 inches and they are recommended to be kept in groups but the on
Y downside is that they can be quite nippy to longfinned fish so keeping them in a group should control that. I have heard they don't nipped short finned fish like danios and barbs.

Hey they look pretty cool.
In my small tank, I could only keep the smaller puffers though. Still very interesting though.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Hey they look pretty cool.
In my small tank, I could only keep the smaller puffers though. Still very interesting though.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Why don't you get some red puffers they are very personal

Back
Top Bottom