Which single fish for 27 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im looking for a single fish to keep in my 27 gallon tank. I feel its more personal to keep 1 fish as a pet, in this tank (I might throw a bristlenose in there maybe)

Which fish is very interactive, and would fit in this size tank? Something interesting. Its a small tank, I know....
I don't like bettas, and rams.

Im looking for a single fish to keep in my 27 gallon tank. I feel its more personal to keep 1 fish as a pet, in this tank (I might throw a bristlenose in there maybe)

Which fish is very interactive, and would fit in this size tank? Something interesting. Its a small tank, I know....
I don't like bettas, and rams.

You might be able to get away with one angelfish. Most say they need a minimum of 30 gallons but if that's all you will have in your tank it should work!

Angelfish can be very personal fish! They will follow your finger on the glass and sometimes you can feed them from your hand. Just one is a possibility for your tank tho!!

Lets see what others say about my suggestion!

You might be able to get away with one angelfish. Most say they need a minimum of 30 gallons but if that's all you will have in your tank it should work!

Angelfish can be very personal fish! They will follow your finger on the glass and sometimes you can feed them from your hand. Just one is a possibility for your tank tho!!

Lets see what others say about my suggestion!

Thank you for the suggestion. Im very excited to put a fish in this tank.
I have never kept angelfish before. I will google them. How big do they grow?
I'll wait for more suggestions and choose my favourite.

thank you.

Thank you for the suggestion. Im very excited to put a fish in this tank.
I have never kept angelfish before. I will google them. How big do they grow?
I'll wait for more suggestions and choose my favourite.

thank you.

They grow about 6" in length but some can get up to 10-12" in height! They are awesome fish! I actually just got my first about a month ago and there a lot of fun!

Well if you want to keep one fish and one fish only, why not try to match a fish to the exact chemistry of your water out of the tap, ie the ph and hardness ect.

Most fish will adjust to a range of chemistry but there has do be some benefit to this.

For hard alkiline water maybe a type of malawi cichlid

Soft acidic water maybe SA cichlids. Discus, angels

My tap water PH is about 7.6 to 7.8.
Zero KH.

I was hoping for a cichlid maybe...

I'm very fond of paradise fish. They can get pretty decent sized and their tales are beautiful. Best kept alone too as they will definitely eat smaller things.

Its a 47cm cube tank. 27 gallon.

Convicts are nice. I like the female cause she's smaller, and has nice red belly. Black stripes also seem more significant in females, but it might just be luck.
Not a big fan of firemouths, although we're on the right track.

Thanks.

Yeah Female Cons are real nice. A single salvini might be alright as well. They get to about 6 inches.

I was thinking that. Ive read about 10 places online, and they ALL had different max size growth for the salvini. I don't know which to believe. Anyhere from 6 inches to 10 inches :/

I probably prefer the female convict over salvini though.

You could try an Africn Leaf Fish although I am not sure how personable they are....

You could go with one of the larger gourami species. I have three opaline gourami and they all nip at my fingers when I put then in the water. I even feed them out of my fingers. I am not sure if they do well if kept alone, but I think three would be nice in a 30 gallon.

Can a Red Tail shark be alone and do well in a tank that size?

No, they are very active and should have atleast 55g

I was considering suggesting a single fancy goldfish as well, but 30 gallons should be the absolute minimum for them and even then that's too small IMO. They produce way too much waste and I'm sure you'd get tired of cleaning, I know I would. But they are very personable fish that's for sure.

An angel or convict would do very well in a 27 by themselves. I'd personally go for the Angel seeing as they get a bit larger than convicts so you'd have more tank space filled up. I think a single convict would get kind of boring and mine aren't personable at all.

Back
Top Bottom