which tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twostepct

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I thought that I was going to be getting a tank about 6 months ago but that fell through so here I am again! I am trying to decide between the following: 46 gallon bowfront, 50 gallon (not ver wide, but taller and deeper than standard 55. it is oceanic brand.), and a standard 55.
I want this for cichlids for now, but later on saltwater. Which would provide the best utility? Thanks!

Taller deeper 50 gallon would probably be better for converting to saltwater...unless the 46 bowfront is taller.

With saltwater you usually want the tallest tank you can get so the fish "feel safer".

Just make sure you provide plenty of aeration while it is freshwater.

Also if you are planning to change to saltwater later (with the same tank) you might want to research ancilliary equipment for saltwater in depth before you buy anything. HOB filters are great for freshwater but not very useful for saltwater. Also you may want to get a tank which is "pre-drilled" for a sump as that would be easier for when you go salt...but I don't know very much about saltwater tanks.

I would get the biggest tank you can afford/have space for. A larger tank is much easier to maintain and it gives you so many more stocking options - especially if you are interested in cichlids. If you plan on using it for salt in the future, you should get a reef-ready tank that has a corner overflow built in and holes drilled for the filter hoses. Expect to pay about 30 - 50% more for this option.

Bowfronts look nice, but they can be harder to clean (scrape algae) because of the curved surface. It's also harder to find replacement hoods for them.
Fish appreciate tank width much more than height.

What type of cichlids are you considering? Many of the larger cichlids live for years--we have two (zebra and Acara) that are 5 years old and showing no signs of slowing down.

I am not sure what type of cichlids yet.. most likely the "assorted" cichlids at the lfs. I am also considering doing one of the GARF tanks. Anyone have any experience with them? I was thinking that would be good for when I go saltwater since it can be drilled right? Was thinking about 48"Lx18"Wx24"H, coming out to 90 gallons. Thanks for the advice, and more will be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom