Which test kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newlywed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I'm back with another very important question. I need to know what a good test kit includes and what price seems to be good. I'm looking online at PetSmart.com and there are so many test kits to choose from. What are the necessary ingredients? I know that I should test for pH, Ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Is that all? I use tap water which does contain chlorine. Should the kit also test for chlorine? Also, do I need a dechlorinator?

TIA for your help!

I've been reasonably happy with the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit. It has tests for High-Range pH, Low-Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, GH, and KH. I bought a separate Nitrate test kit because I keep live plants and want to make sure that my nutrient levels are reasonable. I probably should test for Phosphate too but I'm not doing it at this time. You do NOT need to test for chlorine but you DO need a dechlorinator.

Thanks! I found this on PetSmart.com, it's $14.99 is it what you use?

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kits
Freshwater Master Test Kit is a complete kit for testing tap water & aquarium water. Tests water 6 different ways to protect tropical fish from dangerous water conditions. Tests include: freshwater pH, ammonia, nitrite, high range pH, GH & KH, 4 test tubes, tray.

Which dehlorinator do you recommend?

That's the one! As for dechlorinator...it doesn't really matter which brand you use as long as it will remove both chlorine and chloramines. Check the label.

Yup! That's the one I use, but now I'm bummed because I paid $19.99 for mine at the Petsmart store :(

Oh well, it is a great kit. Ignore what it says about Ammo-Lock, though when you read the booklet.

LOL Don't be bummed Kwenbee; I paid more then you cause I wound up buying my kits peicemeal...ah well, I have everything I need :)

I find a lot of their prices are lower than in the store and until February 1st, they have free shipping on all orders of $50 or more. So, I think I'm going to get some stuff...just haven't decided what yet.

Back
Top Bottom