Whisker Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone know what these are? I just saw a coupon for them on my lfs's website (the owner does stuff like that every week). I put it a google and didn't find really any info on them. I just heard that they are just big ghost shrimp? Is there another name for these? I could find any pics of them so I don't know if I've seen them before. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm going to the lfs today to get a second vampire shrimp and I'll ask the owner about the whisker shrimp, but any extra info would help. This week the owner got a very large shipment of different shrimps so there might be some other cool ones too.

They could be almost anything. If their freshwater and you've heard they're "just big ghost shrimp", they are probably Macrobrachium species [potentially predatory but, I believe, more interesting than most fish] of some sort ("whisker" probably refers to their long antennae). Try to find out where your lfs got them from to narrow down the range of candidates.

Ya I went to the lfs to look at them right after I posted this. When I saw them I new what they were. They were Blue-clawed shrimp which I'd kept before and didn't want to keep again cause they killed several of my ghost shrimp and somehow a snail too.

Lance M. said:
They were Blue-clawed shrimp which I'd kept before and didn't want to keep again cause they killed several of my ghost shrimp and somehow a snail too.

When fully grown (potentially 26 inches in length) they particularly enjoy large plecos (the cutaneous "armor" makes them audibly crunchy), along with all sorts of cichlids (discus and angelfish are favorites - easy to clutch and chew - but they are not adverse to the odd convict or African). They will systematically hunt down even fast-moving shoaling fish, as barbs, "sharks", and rainbowfish as well as catfish, loaches, and, incongruously, small gars; the list goes on. However, when they have attained this size, they tend to ignore fish too small to be worth their while, so you can often get away with small tetras or "cherry"-type shrimp for an aesthetically pleasing contrast. These shrimp more than make up for these aggressive tendencies with a fascinating range of behavior (particularly interaction with the aquarist - they will come to hand-feed and come up to the front glass in anticipation of feeding).

a 26 inch shrimp... i dont think so

What do you make of these images? [I should have mentioned that my length figure included the front limbs.]

http://www.aqua-addiction.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=24468: "Louie"- see owner quote below.

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/crec/prawn.jpg

http://southcenters.osu.edu/aqua/intro/sld013.htm

http://rmbr.nus.edu.sg/biodiversitii/bio/images/c16.jpg

Some background about the first picture:

i was the proud owner of "Louie" i had to give him to a friend of mine because he more than outgrew my 30 gallon tank. i would recommend keeping it alone unless you want it to kill everything. i had a 10" florida gar in the tank momentarily until i got my 55 gallon setup. it was for a very short time. two days later the gar was prawn food.he also ate a pleco, two snails, and my rafael cat. his normal diet was feeders and he loved shrimp pellets. Louie was definitely an awsome shrimp though. i gave him to my buddy to put in his 75g, and on my birthday Louie died . he was about 14" of body and about 8" of claw, by far the coolest aquatic pet that i have ever owned.

A length of two feet (including the elongate chelae-bearing limbs [Macrobrachium literally means "long-arm"]) is standard for adult Macrobrachium rosenbergii, though aquaculture facilites have reported greater sizes. This species is perhaps the largest shrimp in existence, rivaling, amongst freshwater crustaceans, the Tasmanian "freshwater lobster", Astacopsis gouldi.

Many other Macrobrachium spp. reach similar proportions, though some stay only a few centimeters in length (as the sand-burrowing "Indian pearl shrimp" - scroll down to "Detritus Eating Shrimp" within the "Shrimp Varieties" heading of www.petshrimp.com), the genus, as the largest within the Palaemonidae, naturally being distinguished by a broad range of diversity. The genus spans a broad pan-tropical belt encompassing southern North America (to the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers), Central & South America, Southern Europe (Italy and the Balkans, including Macedonia) Africa (from Mauritania probably down to South Africa), Madagascar, the Indian sub-continent (and possibly the adjoining Middle East), Southeast Asia, East Asia to the Ryukyu Islands, Austronesia (Indonesia across Wallace's Line to Australia proper), and numerous island chains of the Pacific (east to Hawai'i) and Indian Oceans.

http://www.kingeagle.net/MJ prawn.jpg

ok, i didnt know it was including the limbs, thats a huge shrimp! lol
(huge... shrimp)

Saw some Wisker shrimp at Big Als in Oakville, picked up 2 Vampire Shrimp, good size and about 17$ each, one is happily eating now, the other is hiding in the corner.. (yes there are plants for them to hide, and many other objects), shame I went out to find the worst storm this year waiting for us, took about 1.5 hours to get back home :roll:

The wisker shrimp they had look like very large glass shrimp. I can see why they sometimes come in with them as strays.

They were about 9$ I think, it didn't pay too much attention to thier price, (That's also cdn, but it seems after looking at your stores down there the prices are the same, 1.89$ for a neon here, 1.99 there, 8.99 for a Congo, 9.99 here (but they were very healthy))

One of the new guys has taken up residence on the filter tube, guess he's helpin out.

Back
Top Bottom