white algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ive started to get a white looking algae on the floor of the aquarium. I have had live plants for about two weeks. Ive been using leaf zone once a week and put a few root tabs in my substrate. I have a 15watt T5 bulb. It is a 20 gallon tank. First few days i had the lights on for 10hrs. Since ive changed it to 8 hrs per day. I am also using api CO2 booster daily. Would octos do me some good. Would theyeat the white algae? Any suggestions.

Ive never heard of "white algae". That's more than likely some sort of fungus. Are you missing any fish? Dead, rotting fish tend to be a good place for fungus to grow.

Ive never heard of "white algae". That's more than likely some sort of fungus. Are you missing any fish? Dead, rotting fish tend to be a good place for fungus to grow.

No fish are missing. All are healthy.

Pictures? I had a white fungus growing on some un eaten algae wafers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, we need a picture if possible.

Took a picture but couldn't get my phone to let me attach it. Ill probably have to let my wife figure it out for me. After looking more closely it does look more like a mold or fungus. I think it is originating from left over food on the bottom. my wife tends to feed a little too much.

Fungus wont harm your fish, I had some on new bog wood just vacuum it up......

Sounds like fungus. If there's enough uneaten food to encourage fungus you may very well have a toxic environment. How are the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? The fungus itself might not be toxic but the decaying food can get you there.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Sounds like fungus. If there's enough uneaten food to encourage fungus you may very well have a toxic environment. How are the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? The fungus itself might not be toxic but the decaying food can get you there.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

All fish are currently healthy. I only used the Marineland testing strips. It test nitrites nitrates pH alkalinity and two other things that I can't remember but all are within parameters. I just picked up a API Master test kit so I will try it with this and compare it to the test strips.I plan on trying to suck some of it out tomorrow and doing a weekly water change

Back
Top Bottom