white bits floating in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steer14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone got any ideas on how to get rid of the tiny white bits floating in my tank ? it seems that when i turn off filter and air pump they float to the top . Also when i change some water it gets worse so i filled a glass with water and it seems to be in my tap water too which also floats to the top after it settles . I have a 54litre jewel tank with a jewel bio flo mini filter . oh and tank is still cycling so no fish yet . I would appreciate any feedback , thanks .

Nah not bubbles , its small white particles . I turned off air stone this morning and left the filter running and it all settles out on top of water , turn it back on and it spreads out all round the tank . And no matter how long i run tap for its still there . ph of tap water is 7.6 . Could it be calcium ? If so what can i do about it . my juwel bioflomini only has one type of fitration which is a big blue sponge bio fiter . Would another type of filter help ?

Defo not fleas or any living bug . Yeah will get some fine filter floss and see how it goes . cheers

I havnt a clue, however you wouldn't want to use caustic Limescale treatments so I guess its a case of letting it float to the top and scooping it off, would be very built up in the tap to make flakes come out into the water, so maybe try treating the source at the same time with Limescale remover then run the taps for a while to remove any residue chemical. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

steer14 said:
Is there anything i could do if it was limescale ?

Go to home depot and invest in a 2 dollar screw on faucet screen or go to Walmart and get a Brita or pur brand water filter to screw onto your tap. Those will need their cartridges drained monthly but you'll have clean tap water out of whatever faucet it's on.

I wish you the best.. Or go in your basement beat your pipes with a rubber hammer to loosen the debris then run your faucets for 5 mins see if flushing your system solves the problem.

A hose that isn't shut off from the line will stay full of water make fungi and if not shut off will back up into your main line in the home. Make sure your hoses and outdoor power wash equipment etc is all in hosed and the tap for the hoses is screwed shut.

Best wishes with all that

Back
Top Bottom