Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2020, 05:55 AM   #1
LLG
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

White bits on the surface

Suddenly some bits of white stuff appeared on the water surface in my aquarium. They look and feel (when I crush them) exactly like Perlite, those white bits they put into houseplant potting soil. They are mostly in the corners or around the glass but there are a few floating freely.

Ideas? Thanks.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. Is your substrate dirt?

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #3
LLG

It's standard commercial fish tank gravel with a thick layer of sand. I have very hard water but can that really be the reason? They appeared so quickly, too.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you use commercial tank gravel then it might be the "coating" that they put on the gravel: it is a type of paint. I do not think that it will hurt anything, but I would get it out the best that I could.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
LLG

I had no idea the gravel was coated with anything! I did rinse it well before using it but never thought there would be anything to rinse off except dust. What is the reason for a coating?
Old 02-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The coating keeps the gravel looking clean, so there are no pores in the gravel for algae to cling to. I usually go to places like Lowes or Home Depot and purchase natural, untreated gravel because it:
1: is cheaper
2: has pores that natural bacteria can breed in
3: gives plant roots something to cling to

It is kind of hard sometimes to find the right size natural gravel at a hardware store garden center, but every now and then I get lucky. I usually look for gravel bags with 2-5 millimeter pebbles. Now, there are companies that make "natural" aquarium gravel, but it is expensive.

Tags
surface, white

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com